ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hard Drive SMART Stats - from the BackBlaze Blog

(1/3) > >>

4wd:
Hard Drive SMART Stats

I’ve shared a lot of Backblaze data about hard drive failure statistics While our system handles a drive failing, we prefer to predict drive failures, and use the hard drives’ built-in SMART metrics to help. The dirty industry secret? SMART stats are inconsistent from hard drive to hard drive.

With nearly 40,000 hard drives and over 100,000,000 GB of data stored for customers, we have a lot of hard-won experience. See which 5 of the SMART stats are good predictors of drive failure below. And see the data we have started to analyze from all of the SMART stats to see which other ones predict failure.
--- End quote ---

From experience, we have found the following 5 SMART metrics indicate impending disk drive failure:

SMART 5 – Reallocated_Sector_Count.
    SMART 187 – Reported_Uncorrectable_Errors.
    SMART 188 – Command_Timeout.
    SMART 197 – Current_Pending_Sector_Count.
    SMART 198 – Offline_Uncorrectable.

--- End quote ---

ewemoa:
Thanks for updating the post with the metrics they pay attention to.

IainB:
Interesting. Based on sound observations. That tallies pretty closely with what HDS (Hard Disk Sentinel) was reporting about the deteriorating state of my laptop hard drive a while back. I shall make a note of those for future reference.
This was a Seagate ST9500420AS 2½" laptop drive:

4wd:
^Those stats indicate that it's still a good working HDD AFAIAC  :)

Remember this one:

Almost three years later:

SeraphimLabs:
Because the drive had not run out of spare sectors, and was able to remap 100% of them to spare areas.

I've salvaged quite a few 'bad' devices that way, simply overwriting them repeatedly a few times to brute force trigger the remapping sequence.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version