ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Worm's neurons mapped, simulated in robot

(1/2) > >>

Deozaan:
Scientists have mapped the neurons of a (biological) worm, simulated it in software, and put it into a robot which now behaves like a worm.

Take the connectome of a worm and transplant it as software in a Lego Mindstorms EV3 robot - what happens next?

It is a deep and long standing philosophical question. Are we just the sum of our neural networks. Of course, if you work in AI you take the answer mostly for granted, but until someone builds a human brain and switches it on we really don't have a concrete example of the principle in action.

The nematode worm Caenorhabditis elegans (C. elegans) is tiny and only has 302 neurons. These have been completely mapped and the OpenWorm project is working to build a complete simulation of the worm in software. One of the founders of the OpenWorm project, Timothy Busbice, has taken the connectome and implemented an object oriented neuron program.
-http://www.i-programmer.info/news/105-artificial-intelligence/7985-a-worms-mind-in-a-lego-body.html
--- End quote ---

http://www.i-programmer.info/news/105-artificial-intelligence/7985-a-worms-mind-in-a-lego-body.html

from Twitter

ewemoa:
Sounds pretty amazing!

SeraphimLabs:
So they're finally succeeding in something I had tried to do 10 years ago- simulating a neuron map to see if it would imitate the behavior of what it was copied from.

At the time I had no way of obtaining source maps to use, but I was able to create an array of neurons that would interact with each other. Unfortunately there were only two conditions I could recognize- comatose, and seizure.

MilesAhead:
When reading the subject line my mind expected to see
"Worm's neurons mapped, simulating a politician."  ;)

cranioscopical:
When reading the subject line my mind expected to see
"Worm's neurons mapped, simulating a politician."  ;)
-MilesAhead (November 18, 2014, 01:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
But… but… politicians move blindly forward whereas even a worm can turn.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version