ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Does anyone have know why you cannot map a drive letter to an FTP drive

<< < (3/4) > >>

4wd:
4WD.  Highly suggest you check this one out on whatever you were trying.-questorfla (November 17, 2014, 12:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Already looked at NetDrive but considering its cost I thought DirectNetDrive might work out a bit cheaper for you  ;)

But I don't need something like this since I don't do any mapping of drives ever, (direct S/FTP or UNC for me).

questorfla:
and you are right!  The problem is I cannot get any of the others to work.  And as a matter if principle I am sort of "upset" that the built in functions of Windows do NOT work at all.  That is the real kicker.  This isn't supposed to need anything extra and MS has been far less than forthcoming to all their loyal customers who asked WHY!
All I know is that when you TRY, the connection between the two systems is made but fot one reason or another you end up with no communication.  The errors all indicate a problem with authentication . 
But always the same 0x00..... stuff.  I think I read ever report from every user but no one got a single nit of help.

you are right about your DirectNet I wish I could have gotten it to sonect and I do not know why it would not.   I can tell you something else too.
I DID find one case (ie: I got it to work ONE time) on one system where I made a single entry in the registry that fixed everything.
THAT system is at the office.  If I can find out WHY what I did worked for it....
Maybe I can post a Free fix for all.

The info I got to make the change came with some interesting material attached which I may just send the whole link to.  Worth reading if true.

questorfla:
before I forget to do so, I may have just found out why it worked on the ONE system I tried at the office.
That one system uses Windows 7.  The only one left.  On that one, I can map a letter to an FTP drive with only a single registry edit change.  None of the Windows 8 systems will allow it though registry change or not

BenTekk:
If you are looking for another option, try WebDrive.

I use it at work and home. Isn't free, but I use it to map drive letters to FTP, SFTP, and lots of my cloud services like Google Drive and I still have tons of space left.

MilesAhead:
before I forget to do so, I may have just found out why it worked on the ONE system I tried at the office.
That one system uses Windows 7.  The only one left.  On that one, I can map a letter to an FTP drive with only a single registry edit change.  None of the Windows 8 systems will allow it though registry change or not
-questorfla (November 17, 2014, 05:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

You probably already tried this but did you try installing it in Windows 7 compatibility mode?  Not everyone knows there's also compatibility settings for the install(not sure if that's for windows installer only or all installers though.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version