ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please recommend a Canadian domain name registrar to me

<< < (3/3)

SeraphimLabs:
Worth noting- even if you are on a non-US registrar, the big .com .net .org etc TLDs are still managed by US-owned Verisign, and through that route they can simply seize your domain name if you offend.

You need to go to one of the less common TLDs for your domain name with a non-US and prefferably Asian or middle eastern owned domain registration agency in order to avoid American bullying practices when it comes to domain and site seizures.

TaoPhoenix:

Holy moly ...

I know Renny can get a little fiery, but all that security theater always seemed to be "over there" - someone else I've never really heard of.

But all this is starting to close the loop!

Fire up some of that creepy movie music!  :(

Renegade:
I wasn't aware that Canada, or any of the other countries in INGSOC "the circle of eyes," should be any safer for domain registration. They all seem to dance to the tune of US cyber policy. And the UK has already wandered a lot further down the path of e-tyranny than the US has. (So far.)
-40hz (November 15, 2014, 08:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd still feel more comfortable with a Canadian domain registrar.

Worth noting- even if you are on a non-US registrar, the big .com .net .org etc TLDs are still managed by US-owned Verisign, and through that route they can simply seize your domain name if you offend.

You need to go to one of the less common TLDs for your domain name with a non-US and prefferably Asian or middle eastern owned domain registration agency in order to avoid American bullying practices when it comes to domain and site seizures.
-SeraphimLabs (November 15, 2014, 02:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's a .me domain, so... Montenegro. I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference though.

But really, the best DNS system out there that I'm aware of is .bit, i.e. Namecoin. While I don't have any .bit domains with live sites, I've been running a full Namecoin node for a long time, which helps support the network.

They didn't seize the domain name (cynic.me), but there's not much that I would put past them. Hence, I just want to get it as far away from any US jurisdiction as possible.

Renegade:
doteasy.com I used in the past. My experience was good but I eventually moved the domain in question to US based registrar.
-rgdot (November 15, 2014, 12:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for that recommendation. I did check them out and I emailed them. Unfortunately, in their TOS/TOC they require adherence to US laws. :( From an email I received (emphasis mine):

Thank you for your interest in our service. We are a 100% Canadian owned and operated company. Having said that, our service terms and conditions does require the use of our services to be in compliance with Canadian and US laws and the laws of your country at all times. You will need to ensure that the use of our service does not fall into our list of prohibited content/behavior. You can view our service terms and conditions using this link:

http://www.doteasy.com/terms/terms-and-conditions.cfm#conduct

--- End quote ---

4wd:
The .me registry is operated by doMEn ...
--- End quote ---

Do me in?

Sounds vaguely sinister  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version