ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please recommend a Canadian domain name registrar to me

<< < (2/3) > >>

eleman:
I no longer trust US based ones, after so many domain name seizures by captured US government agencies such as ICE. Not that I have anything illegal on my domains (mom's recipes site, wifey's company's site etc.), but a government should not be able to seize a domain name without court orders. US govt does that.

So my motive is political.

Renegade:
I use easydns. A bit more expensive than namecheap, but it's based in Canada. It is highly recommended by techdirt.
-eleman (November 15, 2014, 01:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

THANK YOU!

I saw this and I'm pretty much sold on them.

Just out of curiosity...what difference does it make if they are from other countries?  Does it mean anything special, or is it a purely political choice?
-Stephen66515 (November 15, 2014, 01:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

The United States Marshals Service had my blog taken down today. (I have it back up now.) My registrar is in the US, but my hosting provider is in Canada. I want to ditch everything to do with the US and get all my domains into Canada. (I ditched my server in Texas to host with a Canadian company in Canada.)

I no longer trust US based ones,
-eleman (November 15, 2014, 01:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Same.

after so many domain name seizures by captured US government agencies such as ICE.
--- End quote ---

Mine wasn't seized, but it was put offline.

Not that I have anything illegal on my domains
--- End quote ---

Same. Nothing illegal at all.

but a government should not be able to seize a domain name without court orders. US govt does that.
--- End quote ---

Exactly. I don't want my domain seized. So, I'm getting the hell out of Dodge.

So my motive is political.
--- End quote ---

Same.

This is a royal pain in the butt.

eleman:
The United States Marshals Service had my blog taken down today. (I have it back up now.) My registrar is in the US, but my hosting provider is in Canada. I want to ditch everything to do with the US and get all my domains into Canada. (I ditched my server in Texas to host with a Canadian company in Canada.)
-Renegade (November 15, 2014, 06:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

What was your blog about?

Renegade:
-Renegade (November 15, 2014, 06:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

What was your blog about?
-eleman (November 15, 2014, 06:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

I called out Ars Technica for blatantly lying (black lie - not remotely true).

I also posted complete and unredacted/uncensored information that was evidence for my claim. That included information that the United States Marshals Service didn't take kindly to.

I don't want to post anything more here in the Living Room. You can check my initial response to the take down here.

40hz:
I wasn't aware that Canada, or any of the other countries in INGSOC "the circle of eyes," should be any safer for domain registration. They all seem to dance to the tune of US cyber policy. And the UK has already wandered a lot further down the path of e-tyranny than the US has. (So far.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version