ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do any wifi-DIRECT adapters actually exist?

<< < (4/4)

Deozaan:
While the OS has to have an awareness of the technology, the adapter - it would appear - also needs to have ??X?? ...and nobody seems to have created a list of devices what do that.-Stoic Joker (November 17, 2014, 06:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Then how come my Android tablet suddenly has Wifi Direct capabilities because of an OS update? :huh:

Stoic Joker:
While the OS has to have an awareness of the technology, the adapter - it would appear - also needs to have ??X?? ...and nobody seems to have created a list of devices what do that.-Stoic Joker (November 17, 2014, 06:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Then how come my Android tablet suddenly has Wifi Direct capabilities because of an OS update? :huh:
-Deozaan (November 17, 2014, 05:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

The hardware was capable, but the OS hadn't caught up yet. That's hardly odd in the industry. Much like FireWire support in Vista. Sure you could order a machine with it, but it ran like crap - if at all - until somebody got around to shitting a proper driver for it.

The whole thread is about the lack of clarity regarding what if anything is required of/by/out of the hardware for proper WFD compatibility.

superboyac:
OK, good info here.  but I have a couple of fundamental questions:
--Is wifi direct dead? Is development accelerating/decelerating? (I feel accelerating only because it's supposedly being used in the xbox one.  But since miracast has turned out to be so lame, that could indicate it's decelerating.)
--Is there anything similar to wifi direct, but called something else?
--basically, I want to buy a diy chip and do stuff with it.

Innuendo:
--- End quote ---

Must not be a Samsung tablet then. All of Samsung's recent Android phones and tablets have Wi-Fi Direct implemented in them from day one. I know I should hate Samsung with all the TouchWiz and the glut of features that a lot of people call bloatware, but I got a Galaxy S5 because of the rave reviews of the screen and I just love all the functionality packed in there. Loved it so much I just bought a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 for $199.99.

Loving it as well. I used to be a die-hard Samsung hater, too. What happened?

Deozaan:
--- End quote ---

Must not be a Samsung tablet then. All of Samsung's recent Android phones and tablets have Wi-Fi Direct implemented in them from day one. I know I should hate Samsung with all the TouchWiz and the glut of features that a lot of people call bloatware, but I got a Galaxy S5 because of the rave reviews of the screen and I just love all the functionality packed in there. Loved it so much I just bought a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 for $199.99.

Loving it as well. I used to be a die-hard Samsung hater, too. What happened?
-Innuendo (December 01, 2014, 10:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

I suppose my tablet (Asus Nexus 7 2013) could have had WiFi Direct the whole time, but the option for it wasn't in the software until recently, or maybe I never noticed the option for it until recently.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version