ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do any wifi-DIRECT adapters actually exist?

<< < (3/4) > >>

4wd:
From Wikipediaw:

The Wi-Fi Direct devices negotiate when they first connect to determine which device shall act as an access point.
--- End quote ---
Direct essentially embeds a software access point ("Soft AP"), into any device that must support Direct.
--- End quote ---

That sounds suspiciously like the Virtual AP functionality in Windows 7+ without going through the hassle of typing commands.

40hz:
After the initial flurry of breathless "game changer" announcements, it seems to have stalled out around 2012. The biggest motivation seemed to be killing off Bluetooth - which is odd because that's something that never really went mainstream beyond headsets for smartphones. (On second thought, reason enough for everybody else to want to kill it since it's a Microsoft proprietary technology.) >:D

CORRECTION! It's not. Look here.

There's some talk of how this may be the key technology for bringing "the internet of things" to the general public. But most of it seems to imply wifi-direct will be built into the devices rather than offered as an add-on. Which could make it a selling point for new devices.

Be still my heart! :-\

superboyac:
After the initial flurry of breathless "game changer" announcements, it seems to have stalled out around 2012. The biggest motivation seemed to be killing off Bluetooth - which is odd because that's something that never really went mainstream beyond headsets for smartphones. (On second thought, reason enough for everybody else to want to kill it since it's a Microsoft proprietary technology.) >:D

There's some talk of how this may be the key technology for bringing "the internet of things" to the general public. But most of it seems to imply wifi-direct will be built into the devices rather than offered as an add-on. Which could make it a selling point for new devices.

Be still my heart! :-\
-40hz (November 17, 2014, 08:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, THAT is certainly interesting, thanks.
If you had asked me 5 years ago, I fully would have expected this kind of tech to be common now.

Bluetooth is MS's tech?  Why do they suck at implementing it then?
Interesting...the new xbox one controller doesn't use bluetooth.  Supposedly it uses Wifi DIrect, but it's not terribly clear.  On the other hand, the PS4 controller uses bluetooth and it works really well.

40hz:
Bluetooth is MS's tech?
-superboyac (November 17, 2014, 10:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nope! I misspoke. See correction in previous post.

per Wikipedia:

Bluetooth is a wireless technology standard for exchanging data over short distances (using short-wavelength UHF radio waves in the ISM band from 2.4 to 2.485 GHz[3]) from fixed and mobile devices, and building personal area networks (PANs). Invented by telecom vendor Ericsson in 1994,[4] it was originally conceived as a wireless alternative to RS-232 data cables. It can connect several devices, overcoming problems of synchronization.

Bluetooth is managed by the Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG), which has more than 20,000 member companies in the areas of telecommunication, computing, networking, and consumer electronics.[5] Bluetooth was standardized as IEEE 802.15.1, but the standard is no longer maintained. The SIG oversees the development of the specification, manages the qualification program, and protects the trademarks.[6] To be marketed as a Bluetooth device, it must be qualified to standards defined by the SIG.[7] A network of patents is required to implement the technology, which is licensed only for that qualifying device.
--- End quote ---

:-[

Stoic Joker:
After the initial flurry of breathless "game changer" announcements, it seems to have stalled out around 2012. The biggest motivation seemed to be killing off Bluetooth - which is odd because that's something that never really went mainstream beyond headsets for smartphones.-40hz (November 17, 2014, 08:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

...And rapid (short burst) device to device file transfers. All those commercials with people whirling around smacking their phones together while the picture jumped from device to device were using NFC (Near Field Communication). NFC was originally (and still is as I understand it) by design dependent on a secondary Bluetooth connection to do the actual file transfer ("work").

However some companies like HP are using the initial NFC handshake to trigger a WiFi connection for their quick print from your phone widget. Which may have much to do with it - for the most part - not working on any device I've gotten ahold of to try with in any fashion vaguely reminiscent of the brochure's rhetoric..

HP's on printer NFC (to WiFi) implementation does work, it's just way too many steps to really be called truly convenient IMO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version