ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do any wifi-DIRECT adapters actually exist?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Stoic Joker:
How is Wi-Fi Direct different from ad-hoc wifi? :-\-Deozaan (November 15, 2014, 08:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ad-hoc is strictly point-to-point. Wi-Fi Direct is point-to-multi-point ...(e.g. Infrastructure mode without the infrastructure device)... And it has a Derp-to-connect button.

4wd:
I thought Ad-Hoc is peer-to-peer when communicating but the actual Ad-Hoc network size, (in device numbers), is only limited by the environment interfering with device communication.

Stoic Joker:
Ad-Hoc is the wireless equivalent of using a crossover cable to connect two devices. You can Ping-Pong between the two device...but that's as far as anything can ever get. Wi-Fi Direct (mind you I'm only working with what I read in the link posted above) allows a single wireless NIC to connect to more that one target at a time.

So if you connected your laptop to a hotel's wireless, and you wanted to connect a wireless printer as well. The laptop could connect separately and directly to the wireless printer while maintaining the connection to the hotel's wireless network, instead of having to connect the printer to the hotel's wireless network and then access it (hopefully unless session isolation is enabled) through the hotel.

Deozaan:
Can a regular wifi adapter do that? Or do you need a special WiFi Direct card/adapter thingy? For some reason I thought a wifi adapter could only connect to one thing at a time.

Stoic Joker:
Can a regular wifi adapter do that? Or do you need a special WiFi Direct card/adapter thingy? For some reason I thought a wifi adapter could only connect to one thing at a time.-Deozaan (November 17, 2014, 12:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Correct, hence the problem Wi-Fi Direct is purportedly to 'solve'.

I think you just circled back to Superboy's original question. While the OS has to have an awareness of the technology, the adapter - it would appear - also needs to have ??X?? ...and nobody seems to have created a list of devices what do that.

I'm thinking it has a different protocol name that identifies it as WFD compatible/capable ... Just can't nail down wtf it is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version