ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do any wifi-DIRECT adapters actually exist?

(1/4) > >>

superboyac:
I'm looking for an adapter that can turn my desktop pc into a wifi-direct enabled computer (without using another access point or router).  Now, as I'm looking into it, it's quite unclear how to do this.  I was thinking there would be some kind of wifi-direct USB device that I plug in like a bluetooth adapter, and bingo.  But I can't find a single one!
I go to the Wifi Alliance website:
http://www.wi-fi.org/discover-wi-fi/wi-fi-direct
then I go to where it says "product finder", which sends me here:
http://www.wi-fi.org/discover-wi-fi/wi-fi-direct-products
Which is basically an empty page.
So where are these devices?
I don't want a Miracast or anything, because that's basically a restricted-use device.  I want an adapter that will connect the computer directly and then I can do anything that I normally do over wifi.  I don't want Miracast dictating what I can and can't do.  But that seems to be where the tech is at currently.  However, I'm not sure, and it's not clear, and so forth.

It appears to me that the "industry" is keeping wifi-direct out of the spotlight, because the technology is definitely in most of the newer high end devices (phones, game controllers, HDMI adapters like chromecast) and all the implementations so far are quite restricted.  You will not be able to take advantage of the technology in an open manner.

Anyway, so I want an adapter basically.

Stoic Joker:
I don't want a Miracast or anything, because that's basically a restricted-use device.  I want an adapter that will connect the computer directly and then I can do anything that I normally do over wifi.  I don't want Miracast dictating what I can and can't do.  But that seems to be where the tech is at currently.  However, I'm not sure, and it's not clear, and so forth.-superboyac (November 14, 2014, 04:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Okay, I just did a bit of quick research and it doesn't look like that's an option to me:

Q. How is Miracast related to Wi-Fi Direct?

A. Wi-Fi Direct allows devices to connect directly to each other, without the need for a Wi-Fi AP, and requiring just the push of a button, the entry of a PIN, or tapping two NFC-capable devices together. Wi-Fi Direct allows source and display devices to discover one another and provides the underlying device-to-device connectivity for Miracast. Miracast builds upon Wi-Fi Direct with mechanisms to negotiate video capabilities, setup content protection (if needed), stream content, and maintain the video session. - See more at: http://www.wi-fi.org/discover-wi-fi/wi-fi-direct#sthash.pVpt3GVj.dpuf-Wi-Fi.org
--- End quote ---

So... Miracast sounds more like a protocol than an evil restrictive corporation to me.

Deozaan:
How is Wi-Fi Direct different from ad-hoc wifi? :-\

4wd:
How is Wi-Fi Direct different from ad-hoc wifi? :-\-Deozaan (November 15, 2014, 08:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Looks like the "no brain required, just push the button" version of Ad-Hoc.

:P

Deozaan:
While playing around with the new Android 5.0 "Lollipop" I noticed in my "Wireless & networks" settings there's a new Wi-Fi Direct option in the advanced section.

I had no idea what it was at the time. And if I'm being honest, I basically still don't. :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version