ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

SPAM reaching epidemic proportions

<< < (8/9) > >>

bit:
I haven't seen a legitimate spam message in...6 years now. I love it!
-Josh (July 29, 2014, 04:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

no illegitimate spam either? :D :P

PS how come?
-tomos (July 29, 2014, 05:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Because he hasn't been at a computer in 10 years.
-Deozaan (July 29, 2014, 05:34 PM)
--- End quote ---
^Cheese, you  guys. Luv it.  ;D
Okay, MailWasher for Desktop pc is freeware and can delete or bounce spam.
I only use it with Thunderbird and it does the job.
So far, so good.

But it persistently self-starts on Boot and tells me the same 5 emails just came in, every time I boot, for 2 days in a row.
I used StartCop to disable it from starting on boot; it still starts on boot, and ties up CPU power as it pops a big window in the middle of all my other boot-up stuff that normally goes so smoothly, and says the same 5 emails just came in as the last time.
When I click to close MailWasher, it closes the window but keeps an open tab at the bottom of Desktop that refuses to go away.
I need it to not self-start on boot, as I only check my Thunderbird emails every few days, and it's becoming a bit of a nuisance.

superboyac:
I think what has happened is that in the last 2 years, more than the usual amount of people have started using the internet and phones and stuff.  These were the holdovers, the technophobes, and now they are playing with their phones more.  They are not used to the protection measures longtime users of computers are familiar with...antispam, firewalls, privacy, etc.

bit:
I think what has happened is that in the last 2 years, more than the usual amount of people have started using the internet and phones and stuff.  These were the holdovers, the technophobes, and now they are playing with their phones more.  They are not used to the protection measures longtime users of computers are familiar with...antispam, firewalls, privacy, etc.
-superboyac (July 30, 2014, 01:34 PM)
--- End quote ---
Heh! I never owned a cell phone, but never thought of myself by that terminology; 'technophobe'.  ;D
I grew up when Operators gave you numbers free of charge, and you only paid for your own outgoing phone calls, not incoming calls (which you have no control over).
That to me was the greatest scam of all; getting people to pay for callers' incoming calls to you.
Then I watched one day as a friend stared at his printer blowing expensive ink and paper on an unwanted and unsolicited incoming spam message printed out on his printer, and felt as if some kind of penultimate milestone of spam idiocy had been reached.
That's what made Robert A. Heinlein the s-f writer so great; in 'Podkayne of Mars' during a taxi ride a 3-D spam vid advertisement popped up in the faces of the passengers, and when they paid extra then the driver was able to make the sound go away but not the video; Heinlein had it wired way before the first home pc was even on the horizon.

MailWasher is great, but I just need a way to get it to stop self-starting.

Josh:
I haven't seen a legitimate spam message in...6 years now. I love it!
-Josh (July 29, 2014, 04:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

no illegitimate spam either? :D :P

PS how come?
-tomos (July 29, 2014, 05:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

I use Google Apps and setup "groups", aliases, for various services I use. Each email address is for a specific service (mortgage, bank, specific ordering site, etc.). That way, I know which sites are selling my info if I receive a spam message over it.

That said, since moving to this (and previously fusemail) and the alias system, I have seen NO SPAM since starting it :) I am quite happy about that. That said, I do have a "catch all" alias that attracts everything else from my domains.

bit:
I found this Firetrust Support MailWasher tech support advice.

quote--
Re: MailWasher launch on Windows startup

Post by sst ยป Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:45 am
http://www.firetrust.com/en/products/mailwasher-pro/support/frequently-asked-questions#how-can-i-stop-mailwasher-from-starting-up-at-windows-startup

How can I stop MailWasher from starting up at Windows startup?

Answer: Click, Settings>>General>>Application, and from the "Startup:" menu select, "Launch when windows starts", and click Save, then select, "None" and click Save again.
If this doesn't work, please check the startup folder under Start>>All Programs>>Startup to ensure MailWasher is not listed there.
If not, click Start, search for msconfig and click msconfig.exe.
Click the startup tab, and uncheck MailWasher if there.

As for MailWasher refusing to close when desired, I went into Settings and unchecked 'Minimize MailWasher when X is checked' and that made it just quit when X is checked (X being the 'X' in the upper right corner that normally closes a window).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version