ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do we care about HD-DVD/Blu-Ray?

<< < (3/3)

jgpaiva:
@zridling: great post.
 I absolutely agree with you. It's stupid to be always replacing the hardware "only because 5 years have passed".
It is my opinion that in terms of movies (or music), the switch from dvd to hd-dvd/blu ray is meaningless. It just won't matter, since dvd's already provide enough space. The only difference is that one movie box won't come with 2 dvds (one with the movie, and another one full of crap in most cases), but only with one hd-dvd.

I believe there's only 3 fields that will win with this: backup storage, games, and mass illegal downloaders, which download every single crap they find in the internet, and spend half of their life recording dvds.

For me, the only reason that would make me switch is if i bought a new laptop at the same price i bought my current one, and it came with a hd-dvd recorder. And i'd be glad, only because i'd be able do to decent full-disk backups. (or maybe not, since at the time, the disk/hd-dvd relation will be about the same it is right now)

Deozaan:
Let's just skip to the holodeck already!
--- End quote ---

I read today in the June 2006 issue of Popular Science magazine about the new 3-D Film capabilities. Apparently it is so much more amazing that previous technology, with no distortion that hurts your eyes or weird colors that your body rejects, and has so much more depth of perception that some famous directors (James Cameron, specifically) have promised to never direct another film in 2D again.

Strangely enough, the magazine had some links to their website which don't seem to work. In fact, the website says the current issue is May 2006. I did a search on the site for "3d movies" hoping to find some shred of evidence to back up my claims and all it returned (that seemed relevant) was this article from March 2005.

There was also something else cool about some strange rain in India in 2001 that was red, and some scientists believe there are cells that don't have DNA in the rain, suggesting that it could be alien life! Sadly, the link in the magazine also does not work on the site. What's the deal?

(also cool is that they made sunglasses for a housefly and a camel fit through the eye of a needle)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version