topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Current development status on FARR? No stable version released this year  (Read 8083 times)

mindstormer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am an avid user of open source software and so the development of the applications I use is of concern to me. Due to the nature of open source applications, there are many alternatives for a type of program, but many of these alternatives are just side projects for the developers and eventually abandoned. FARR is great but has not received a stable update for nearly a year. I almost didn't try FARR because the homepage says the latest release was the current version was Jan. 7, 2013--I had to dig deeper and realize that the actual date of release was Nov 29, 2013 according to the thread on the releases of FARR and that Jan. 7, 2013 was not the correct date.

My question now is: Is FARR still being actively developed? I used Keybreeze before but Keybreeze 4 has been in beta for over 2 years so I had to make a switch. I realize that the community is still somewhat active, but that means little if the development itself has stopped or come to a crawl.

Thanks.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Hi mindstormer.
First, thanks for letting me know that the FARR webpage has the wrong date for the last release -- as you note it was Nov 29, 2013.  I've updated the web page now.

Development on FARR has definitely not stopped, and will continue.
I have been updating some of my other apps more recently, and FARR is just waiting its place in line.

There will be an update before the end of the year for sure and I welcome any feature requests!! Sometimes what I need most to release a new version is some inspiration or feature request that catches my fancy.

mindstormer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Fantastic, thanks for the quick reply. No rush!

coolrat

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm also very glad to hear that FARR development will continue! Its an amazing program!

awol

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi mouser,

I love FARR. Any time I stray, I return.
Great balance between fewest steps to invoke (hit Pause key) power, usability.
Coolest sound (22305_zeuss_CLUBkong_off_bss).
Toolbar also has a great balance between power and usability. No, it doesn't do that much, but it does it very elegantly.

Ok, some Toolbar usability requests. I understand some are fussy, but it's just because I already find the toolbar so useful, so saving a click here and there is wothwhile to me:
  . I'd love the Toobar to be multiline so I could load it up with even more than the 33 I now use
    . but then I'd like it not to refresh icon by icon; it always panics me, irrationally, that FARR is going to crash before the refresh finishes
    . and I'd like the toolbar config dialog to be sizable so I could make it higher since I have so many entries
      . and add drag and drop in addition to the up/down arrows
  . add optional execute-on-hover to emulate a single click after a configurable hover time
  . enter toolbar config dialog on double-click of empty area in toolbar

I also love Aliases, of course, but that's for 2015!

Thanks,
Allen

Filipe Meira Castro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Regarding toolbar would be nice to support "sub-toolbar folders" that would automatic be shown/hidden on mouse hover! :D

Don Cody

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thumbs up from me too about FARR  :Thmbsup: . I wanted to make this posting in order to express my appreciation for this great program and also to welcome the news that its development continues.

I look forward to the next update, although I should add that I have no complaints about the version that I currently use.

highend01

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
There will be an update before the end of the year for sure and I welcome any feature requests!!

The end of 2015 is thankfully a few hundred days in the future^^

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I apologize.. I will get an update out very soon.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Update in progress, will be uploaded before next week.

Filipe Meira Castro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
uhuhuhuhu :D :D :D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile