ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox begins its mass rollout of ads on new tab tiles

<< < (4/6) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
I just updated via the Help About menu from 33.02 to 33.1 and got an eBay AddOn with button I did not ask for.  Do you think this is related?

I'm using Privacy Badger and haven't noticed anything else happening.

Edit:  Also, do you think I should forget about the Forget About It Button?
-MilesAhead (November 12, 2014, 05:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm a little confused because I forgot that Nightly (currently 36.0a1) "Eats" regular Firefox by somehow installing itself in the same place, whereas dev edition is somehow on a "different profile".

But the original point of the thread was about the tiles. If you got a weird add-on, to me that's worse news, but different.

I think the Forget button is like a parallel universe of "clear browser history" and fine for what it is. So for example you are watching 15 Youtube videos across 3 tabs, if you just "nuke the process" like in Task Manager, a fairly decent anti-crash routine will try to resurrect all your tabs. But you really wanted it all to go away, so the forget button is decent about that.

TaoPhoenix:
BTW is "enhanced" now a new synonym for "sponsored"? :huh:
-40hz (November 12, 2014, 07:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good guess, but no. I'll let someone else tell us the diff between enhanced and classic, but my CVS tile is still there on classic.

app103:
Here's a tab page when I turned Adblock Edge back on somewhere:

It's not labeled sponsored ...
What ARE all these things? I haven't even heard of half of them! And why aren't they labeled sponsored?

(see attachment in previous post)
-TaoPhoenix (November 12, 2014, 05:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

What is that? Or better question, what browser is that?

I have Adblock edge installed in both Pale Moon and Firefox, and I have never seen a page like that before, with or without Adblock edge.

I have seen a page similar to that in Chrome, however. They were some sort of installed add-on apps in my father's browser.

Are you sure you don't have some other add-on installed that is making that page, or a bunch of little browser apps installed, matching those names?

rgdot:
Mine does look like that and I don't have anything installed to make them like that. I was under the impression that those are/will be the tiles we have been talking all along

TaoPhoenix:
What is that? Or better question, what browser is that?

I have Adblock edge installed in both Pale Moon and Firefox, and I have never seen a page like that before, with or without Adblock edge.

I have seen a page similar to that in Chrome, however. They were some sort of installed add-on apps in my father's browser.

Are you sure you don't have some other add-on installed that is making that page, or a bunch of little browser apps installed, matching those names?
-app103 (November 12, 2014, 09:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, I haven't done a super rigorous test that other addons are creating that.

But I have new evidence that even with Adblock Edge on, the sponsored tiles come through.

Firefox begins its mass rollout of ads on new tab tiles

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version