ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox begins its mass rollout of ads on new tab tiles

<< < (3/6) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Here's a tab page when I turned Adblock Edge back on somewhere:

It's not labeled sponsored ...
What ARE all these things? I haven't even heard of half of them! And why aren't they labeled sponsored?

MilesAhead:
I just updated via the Help About menu from 33.02 to 33.1 and got an eBay AddOn with button I did not ask for.  Do you think this is related?

I'm using Privacy Badger and haven't noticed anything else happening.

Edit:  Also, do you think I should forget about the Forget About It Button?

40hz:
"How do I turn it on/off?
You can turn off Enhanced Tiles by clicking on the gear icon on the top right corner of the new tab page, and selecting Classic to show only unenhanced History Tiles or Blank mode, which turns the Tiles off. "

-TaoPhoenix (November 12, 2014, 05:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

"What data is being collected and why?
Only information about Directory and Enhanced Tiles on a user’s new tab page is being collected to help offer the most interesting sites to new Firefox users and improve recommendations for existing Firefox users. All the information is aggregated and does not include a way to distinguish between unique users. We are collecting data to make sure the tiles are delivering value for our users and advertising partners, and are only collecting the data we need to determine that.
-TaoPhoenix (November 12, 2014, 05:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

I find it interesting that you can turn the 'enhanced' tiles off - but nothing at all is being said about how to turn Mozilla's data collecting 'feature' off.

Looks like Mozilla borrowed a page from the OpenCandy playbook.

BTW is "enhanced" now a new synonym for "sponsored"? :huh:

dantheman:
MajorGeeks gives us laugh at this novelty.

You may want to consider ViewMarks addon to change that page.
(Just wished it synced with browser clean history option)

Mozilla, where are you going?!

MilesAhead:
MajorGeeks gives us laugh at this novelty.

You may want to consider ViewMarks addon to change that page.
(Just wished it synced with browser clean history option)

Mozilla, where are you going?!
-dantheman (November 12, 2014, 08:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Is there a secret handshake to download these AddOns? They all seem to be circular links.

Edit:  never mind.  I googled.  :)

Edit2:  I have to say FlexBar is kind of lame.  I clicked the Menu Bar, it goes away, no way to get it back except restart.  Of course I forget the hotkey to restart(if there is one) so I have to kill then open, since there's no Menu Bar.  Strange AddOn.  :(

(Hovering the mouse per the docs did not work )

I'll try the ViewMarks though.  Currently I'm using FVD SpeedDial.  Ok but none of these dials seem to have everything just right.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version