ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox begins its mass rollout of ads on new tab tiles

<< < (5/6) > >>

app103:
What is that? Or better question, what browser is that?

I have Adblock edge installed in both Pale Moon and Firefox, and I have never seen a page like that before, with or without Adblock edge.

I have seen a page similar to that in Chrome, however. They were some sort of installed add-on apps in my father's browser.

Are you sure you don't have some other add-on installed that is making that page, or a bunch of little browser apps installed, matching those names?
-app103 (November 12, 2014, 09:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, I haven't done a super rigorous test that other addons are creating that.

But I have new evidence that even with Adblock Edge on, the sponsored tiles come through.
 (see attachment in previous post)

-TaoPhoenix (November 12, 2014, 10:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

The original image you posted looked nothing like this one. It had an unusual icon located next to the search bar and a heading "8 Essential Desktop Apps" and the thumbnails featured icons on colorful backgrounds. That's what I am referring to.

This one actually looks normal.

TaoPhoenix:
What is that? Or better question, what browser is that?

I have Adblock edge installed in both Pale Moon and Firefox, and I have never seen a page like that before, with or without Adblock edge.

I have seen a page similar to that in Chrome, however. They were some sort of installed add-on apps in my father's browser.

Are you sure you don't have some other add-on installed that is making that page, or a bunch of little browser apps installed, matching those names?
-app103 (November 12, 2014, 09:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, I haven't done a super rigorous test that other addons are creating that.

But I have new evidence that even with Adblock Edge on, the sponsored tiles come through.
 (see attachment in previous post)

-TaoPhoenix (November 12, 2014, 10:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

The original image you posted looked nothing like this one. It had an unusual icon located next to the search bar and a heading "8 Essential Desktop Apps" and the thumbnails featured icons on colorful backgrounds. That's what I am referring to.

This one actually looks normal.
-app103 (November 13, 2014, 08:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

What can I say?

It's all a complicated mess!

rgdot:
Interesting

----------

The next Firefox default search engine: Yahoo Search

Google Search has been the default search engine of the browser for the past years with Google paying Mozilla money for that privilege.

While Mozilla put the money from the deal to good use, it made it dependent on that money at the same time.

Ever since the deal was announced (first back in 2004) I had a major concern: that Mozilla became too dependent on Google and that Google would not renew the deal.

Mozilla announced a new strategic partnership with Yahoo Inc. that makes Yahoo Search the default search engine in the United States on mobile and desktop platforms.

http://www.ghacks.net/2014/11/19/the-next-firefox-default-search-engine-yahoo-search/

Deozaan:
I thought Yahoo has been the default search engine for a year or so in Firefox... Or was that just in Linux distributions? :huh:

TaoPhoenix:
Just idly checking in on all this ...

Here is a new sponsored tile. But I see a difference here! "I could be wrong ( but I don't think so)" (Monk!) ...
But to me CVS is "friendly". Sure they look at the cereal you buy and cross-print ads for milk or stuff. But last I knew they weren't voraciously trying to own your life.

Check out this new one:

Here's my screenshot of the top of the info page, with some notes. This looks like the next link to Minority Report! Google "just does stuff behind the scenes". This one directly takes your activity, parses it, then spits back *directly at you* "content you may be interested in."

Firefox begins its mass rollout of ads on new tab tiles

It looks like the guys in the ad dept worked on the wording to make it all cute and "yay the internet is mine!" ... but to me this takes the backbone to a whole new level, because of the direct ... threat ... to abuse what you do as hard as they can! (PS don't forget how cozy the cops are getting with data collection. This one pinpoints your entire web history right to you!)

So, to me this made Mozilla top of the list evil ... but they're telling us about it! Are any other browsers doing this without saying so?!

:o  >:(

10. Abuse browser customers.
20. Brainwash them into thinking it's about kittens.
30. Abuse them some more.
40. (Black box processing goes here.)
50. Profit!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version