ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Stephen Fry's eloquent response to Grammar Nazis

<< < (2/3) > >>

Stoic Joker:
My major f'ing psychotic hatred (as opposed to a pet peeve) is not spelling or grammar, but the inability to communicate with a sufficient degree of precision with the fallout being ambiguity or meaninglessness, and then having someone get upset because I've asked for clarification because what was previously said was unintelligible.
-Renegade (November 10, 2014, 04:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Marklar!

Renegade:
My major f'ing psychotic hatred (as opposed to a pet peeve) is not spelling or grammar, but the inability to communicate with a sufficient degree of precision with the fallout being ambiguity or meaninglessness, and then having someone get upset because I've asked for clarification because what was previously said was unintelligible.
--- End quote ---

Marklar!
-Stoic Joker (November 10, 2014, 05:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Shazbot!

Stoic Joker:
--- End quote ---

Marklar!
-Stoic Joker (November 10, 2014, 05:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Shazbot!
-Renegade (November 10, 2014, 05:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not quite, but close enough - Now check your IMs FFS

Edvard:
I quite agree with Mr. Fry on many points, even as I consider myself, not a grammar 'nazi'... perhaps a grammar 'conservative'.  I have no problems with language being used unconventionally for the sake of entertainment or even 'wrong' use of grammar when it actually contributes to clarity.  The recent plague (yes, plague I say...) of using the word 'of' to replace the contraction of 'have' as seen here is an example of something I just can't let go as any sort of 'correct'.  I have others, but in the spirit of the topic, I'll stop there.
;)

TaoPhoenix:
I quite agree with Mr. Fry on many points, even as I consider myself, not a grammar 'nazi'... perhaps a grammar 'conservative'.  I have no problems with language being used unconventionally for the sake of entertainment or even 'wrong' use of grammar when it actually contributes to clarity.  The recent plague (yes, plague I say...) of using the word 'of' to replace the contraction of 'have' as seen here is an example of something I just can't let go as any sort of 'correct'.  I have others, but in the spirit of the topic, I'll stop there.
;)

-Edvard (November 16, 2014, 04:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think I might have a good guess for this one:

Verbally, it sounds like it is "of", but it takes some wee bit of erudite learning to know it. Lit types are probably more passingly familiar with poetry, and could me more ready to look for a construction like "could've".

The newish one that I used to rankle on was "ur". I used to be more vocal "Ur is a Mesopotamian City name, not a word!"

But I am learning that while texting, people are getting more forceful abbreviating things.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version