ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Mailpile [Beta]

<< < (3/5) > >>

Deozaan:
So... this has been hard to test because I don't really know anyone else using GPG, but I tried setting up multiple accounts and I can't get Mailpile to actually encrypt anything. It signs the messages just fine, but can anyone get actual encryption to work? :huh: I click the padlock icon and nothing happens.

So it's an email client... than I run on my computer... that has a web-server... that I can connect to from anywhere (as long as my PC is running/connected/reachable)?
-Deozaan (November 10, 2014, 01:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Mailpile does not have a web-server. They don't own any servers. Using servers is completely optional and only available if you sync an account from a service that has servers, like Gmail.
-Masonjar13 (November 10, 2014, 09:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

But it does have a webserver. Or else how could you access it from your browser? You install Mailpile and it runs a web server on your local machine (localhost:33411). Which you could then theoretically access remotely.

Can IMAP also remove mail from the server like POP3 traditionally did/does? Would that make it look like it was erased/deleted from my Gmail account?
-Deozaan (November 10, 2014, 06:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

With the advent of MIME, IMAP2 was extended to support MIME body structures and add mailbox management functionality (create, delete, rename, message upload) that was absent from IMAP2.
-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Message_Access_Protocol
--- End quote ---
This then carried over to IMAP4, which is the current implement. Now, this could be just referencing the local structure, but I'm not really sure.
-Masonjar13 (November 10, 2014, 09:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think I failed to accurately describe what I meant. I know that IMAP can delete, rename, create, etc. emails. But as I understand it, IMAP connects to the server and makes changes on the server, leaving all your mail on the server. Whereas POP would download everything from the server so that once it was finished checking your mail, your mail was no longer on the server.

What I would like to do is download all my mail from Gmail's server so that, from Google's point of view, I have no mail stored on their mail servers. I would then like to be able to access my self-hosted webserver/client where all my mail actually resides. I want the convenience of accessing my email from anywhere without actually having to store it "in the cloud" where 3rd parties can read/snoop through it.

MilesAhead:
I only used Thunderbird with Outlook to get pop3 access to facilitate backing up my emails locally.  Daily usage of hotmail through TB was more hassle then it was worth.  At least for the way I use email.  But it was worth it to get all my mail on a USB key.

Masonjar13:
As far as I'm aware, MailPile is exclusively a client, not a server, and you can't sync between the clients. At least, I can't seem to find a way to do that. Maybe if you could forward the port, then have it on another computer and connect to it via direct IP? You can send mail P2P, and it will be stored locally, but not sure if P2P is implemented yet. I was trying to look through the FAQ for confirmation, but the website seems to be down at the time I'm writing this.

So... this has been hard to test because I don't really know anyone else using GPG, but I tried setting up multiple accounts and I can't get Mailpile to actually encrypt anything. It signs the messages just fine, but can anyone get actual encryption to work? :huh: I click the padlock icon and nothing happens.
-Deozaan (November 11, 2014, 01:36 PM)
--- End quote ---
Not yet implemented, seemingly. Or, I believe it requires a direct connection with someone who can decrypt it, that is, someone who is also using Mailpile or similar.

I think I failed to accurately describe what I meant. I know that IMAP can delete, rename, create, etc. emails. But as I understand it, IMAP connects to the server and makes changes on the server, leaving all your mail on the server. Whereas POP would download everything from the server so that once it was finished checking your mail, your mail was no longer on the server.

What I would like to do is download all my mail from Gmail's server so that, from Google's point of view, I have no mail stored on their mail servers. I would then like to be able to access my self-hosted webserver/client where all my mail actually resides. I want the convenience of accessing my email from anywhere without actually having to store it "in the cloud" where 3rd parties can read/snoop through it.
--- End quote ---

No, IMAP does not do that. You'll have to wait until they finish implementing POP3 into it.

wraith808:
No, IMAP does not do that. You'll have to wait until they finish implementing POP3 into it.
-Masonjar13 (November 11, 2014, 03:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is incorrect.  Most IMAP clients only download headers- but some implementations download the whole message.  It really depends on their implementation.

Deozaan:
Anyone have any information on how to make Mailpile work on a portable device? The website talks about putting it on a USB, but, then why does the installation default to Program Files? I'd like to do that.

Right now I'm testing it both in a linux VM and I've got it installed on my Windows box (in Program Files).

As far as I'm aware, MailPile is exclusively a client, not a server, and you can't sync between the clients. At least, I can't seem to find a way to do that. Maybe if you could forward the port, then have it on another computer and connect to it via direct IP? You can send mail P2P, and it will be stored locally, but not sure if P2P is implemented yet. I was trying to look through the FAQ for confirmation, but the website seems to be down at the time I'm writing this.-Masonjar13 (November 11, 2014, 03:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've tried forwarding the port but I can't seem to access the web end of Mailpile from another device on my network. )c:

I guess I could use something like BitTorrent Sync to backup/sync the Mailpile data between multiple devices. They recommend that you backup the Mailpile data file(s) anyway. But hopefully in the future the web front-end will be (optionally) exposed to the network.

--- End quote ---
Not yet implemented, seemingly. Or, I believe it requires a direct connection with someone who can decrypt it, that is, someone who is also using Mailpile or similar.
--- End quote ---

It makes sense that you can't encrypt a message if you don't have the public key for the person you're sending it to (since you encrypt it using their public key). But I've added an address to my contacts with the public key, but I still can't get Mailpile to encrypt the messages. I also tried consulting the FAQ and other information, but their site is down for me, too.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

That is incorrect.  Most IMAP clients only download headers- but some implementations download the whole message.  It really depends on their implementation.
-wraith808 (November 11, 2014, 04:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

So IMAP can download all the mail from the server, and then remove it from the server, but keep it locally? The way POP accounts (used to) work?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version