ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Mailpile [Beta]

<< < (4/5) > >>

Deozaan:
I think I figured out encryption! At least on my Linux VM.

If you view the contact and from the contact page click "Compose" to write a message to them, encryption doesn't work. But if you just click the pen icon at the top of the screen to start composing a new message, and manually add the contacts by typing the name in and clicking on the contact from the dropdown list (should have a green padlock icon) then the message will work with encryption.

I've also been told that it can take about 5 minutes after you add a contact with encryption keys before the green padlock icon appears. (I added a new contact with key information about 20+ minutes ago and I'm still waiting for it to show up...)

I'm not sure if there's much/any difference in the two versions of Mailpile I'm running. The one I am running in my Linux VM was cloned from the release/beta branch whose last commit was in early October. The one I'm running on Windows was just using the installer. I've gotten the green padlocks to show up in Linux, but I added the contacts sometime yesterday. I can't get them to show up on my Windows copy, but it's "only" been 25 or so minutes since I added them. Mailpile is still slowly but surely trying to download all my messages from my linked Gmail account (about 45k of 75k downloaded), so I'm not sure if that slows things down or not.

tomos:
So IMAP can download all the mail from the server, and then remove it from the server, but keep it locally? The way POP accounts (used to) work?
-Deozaan (November 11, 2014, 04:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

IMAP can download all the mail from the server - but it cannot remove mail from the server *and* keep it locally.
Think of it more as a sync: gone there, gone here ...

Tuxman:
Mailpile is not interesting until I can access it from The Bat!.

wraith808:
So IMAP can download all the mail from the server, and then remove it from the server, but keep it locally? The way POP accounts (used to) work?
-Deozaan (November 11, 2014, 04:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

IMAP can download all the mail from the server - but it cannot remove mail from the server *and* keep it locally.
Think of it more as a sync: gone there, gone here ...
-tomos (November 12, 2014, 03:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, IMAP does have that capability.  People just don't usually code it that way in usage.  Offline and disconnected can be used together to create that capability (I've done it in an experimental implementation).

tomos:
^thanks wraith for that clarification.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version