ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Mailpile [Beta]

(1/5) > >>

Masonjar13:
Mailpile is in beta! Anyone else excited? I've only just installed it and it's still downloading my absurd amount of emails, but the UI is very slick, very user-friendly. Not sure how other email clients are, but it's browser-based from a localhost port. Time to bug test :D already found that you can't double-click the tray icon to open it  :-[.

Innuendo:
Mail clients that are brower-based make me sad. :(

IainB:
-Innuendo (November 09, 2014, 04:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

I reckon hat's an interesting point. What other browser-based email clients have you had experience of and how did they fare? What's wrong with browser-based?

I don't think (don't recall) that I've ever used a browser-based email client, though Thunderbird and Seamonkey did interest me (I think they were/are browser-based).

40hz:
What's wrong with browser-based?
-IainB (November 09, 2014, 05:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nada really.

Browser based email makes some sense if it's a POP3 account that needs to be accessed by multiple machines such as a home and work based PC. Leaving messages on the server until deleted keeps a POP3 inbox in sync if you're careful. But there's no setting you can enable to get the same with your outbox - unless you resort to the ungainly hack of copying yourself on all outgoing messages.  So web-based email makes sense since it gets you some of what an IMAP account will give you regardless.
 8)

Deozaan:
[EDIT] Mailpile was previously discussed on DC in this thread. [/EDIT]

Anyone else excited?-Masonjar13 (November 09, 2014, 04:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's generally considered good form to include a link to what you're talking about.

-Innuendo (November 09, 2014, 04:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

This was my opinion ("I feel sorry for people who use webmail") until I started using Gmail. Then I started feeling sorry for people who didn't use Gmail. Nothing has done email nearly as well as Gmail.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what "browser-based" means in this case...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version