ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Scott Finnie unimpressed by NOD32 ...

<< < (10/11) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I had an issue with NOD32 2.7 a while back (can't remember what it was now) and ESET Tech Support told me to disable IMON - they said it didn't affect security ... begs the question why bother with IMON at all?

Note there is no IMON.DLL in version 3

Dirhael:
Never experienced this with any of the browsers I use/have used over the years with NOD32 so while I don't doubt there will be cases where it could be true that it happens, it most certainly isn't for me and many other users.-Dirhael (November 17, 2007, 07:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Most users will not notice it, pages simply appear all at once rather than being reflown as content updates. Opera has the most agressive progressive renderer, and I extensively tested on more than one machine with reproducible effects. As I understand it, "efficiency" buffers HTML content and scans once that document is finalised. The browser therefore cannot progressively render. That makes Opera, and to a leser extent Firefox display pages similarly to IE, thus is mostly not noticed.

As AMON will protect one once that content is on disk, why bother with IMON? Perhaps it intercepts javascript which may be cached in RAM before being flushed to disk?
-nontroppo (November 17, 2007, 10:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

I still don't notice any difference with IMON on or off, but I also have my Opera executable excluded from the real-time protection so I don't know could have any effect on the results. I am also running admuncher, and due to the way it operates I suspect that it could also have some influence on the results of my testing.

In any case though, as Carol mentions there is no IMON in v3. It doesn't register any Winsock providers at all anymore... :)

nontroppo:
So ESET agree IMON is superfluous I suppose  :)

Lashiec:
tranglos, that huge delay with NOD32 screams something is wrong somewhere in your system. Such thing happening open a text file (as big it may be) with that hardware is not normal.

AntiVir's update scheduling is editable in the free version. And there's some trick to bypass that popup screen, it was posted in... Wilders?

Carol Haynes:
So ESET agree IMON is superfluous I suppose  :)
-nontroppo (November 17, 2007, 12:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think the phrase they used was "IMON is belt and braces" - so long as AMON is running IMON is pretty much superfluous (as are DMON and EMON presumably).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version