ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Unpleasant advertisements of the past

(1/2) > >>

Giampy:
http://www.repubblica.it/esteri/2014/11/04/foto/il_messaggio_vintage_quando_la_pubblicit_era_scorretta-99684737/1/?ref=fbpr#1

Stoic Joker:
http://www.repubblica.it/esteri/2014/11/04/foto/il_messaggio_vintage_quando_la_pubblicit_era_scorretta-99684737/1/?ref=fbpr#1-Giampy (November 04, 2014, 05:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Outside of the fact that our society has become extremely uptight, while constantly leaving its collective mind in the gutter, I see absolutely nothing wrong with any of those ads. The humor is tongue in cheek...but completely innocent ... And cigarettes back then were the Paxil/Zoloft of today.

mwb1100:
Dr. Batty's Asthma Cigarettes:  "Not recommended for Children under 6"

tomos:
Dr. Batty's Asthma Cigarettes:  "Not recommended for Children under 6"
-mwb1100 (November 04, 2014, 10:11 AM)
--- End quote ---
:D
I wonder were they actually made with tobacco though -
there is a herb (Coltsfoot I think) that is supposed to improve asthma when smoked.

app103:
Dr. Batty's Asthma Cigarettes:  "Not recommended for Children under 6"
-mwb1100 (November 04, 2014, 10:11 AM)
--- End quote ---
:D
I wonder were they actually made with tobacco though -
there is a herb (Coltsfoot I think) that is supposed to improve asthma when smoked.
-tomos (November 04, 2014, 10:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Back in the days when people didn't associate their constant coughing with their smoking habits, it was believed that their cough was asthma, and anything that made them cough up more gunk was good for them. So, yes, often that meant giving tobacco filled cigarettes to asthmatic children, to make them cough more.

About the only ones that used a reasonably effective treatment for asthma were the Mormons and Native Americans, who used a tea made from ephedra.

Just remember, there was no FDA back then, and snake oil salesmen were a dime a dozen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version