ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

location triggers for android

<< < (3/5) > >>

kalos:
I have to be physically present in that location.
But again, while physical present in that location, I can find the current CELL ID I am connected.
But I want the action to be triggered in the surrounding CELL IDs! Under a specific radius!-kalos (November 04, 2014, 12:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

When you're in the area you instruct Llama to Learn the towers in the area within a specific time frame.  There's no need to add towers one by one, any that Llama sees while in that position will be added as an area identifier.

Llama picks up 16 towers servicing my immediate area, over the space of 2 hours without me moving from my study.

Considering some of these towers are up to ~20km away from me, that's a rather large area - exactly how big an area are you wanting it to trigger on?
-4wd (November 04, 2014, 08:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

definately not 20km, I want it to be in a 200m radius!

4wd:
One cell tower is going to cover more than a 200m radius unless the area is saturated with mobiles, in which case you'll be switched to another tower close by that's not saturated.

This is why you need to tell Llama to Learn an area - which in all the messages you've posted you've never said you're doing.

So, a simple question: Do you tell Llama to Learn an area?

kalos:
no I haven't told Llama to learn the area
I want to just specify geographically a point and then a specific radius and have it automatically find the cell towers or do whatever it wants in order to "learn" the area
isn't it sensible what I am asking? is it possible to do it?

and I have switched from llama to tasker, can I do in tasker? if not, I can switch back to llama, no problem

4wd:
Tell it to Learn an area, the more towers it sees in an area, the more accurate its location triggers will be.

It's not possible to do what you want, the mobile phone system doesn't work that way.  How would the phone know how far away a tower is without taking into account information that doesn't get transmitted?

Ath:
It's not possible to do what you want, the mobile phone system doesn't work that way.
-4wd (November 05, 2014, 04:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
That is where the experimental Google Geofencing stuff comes in; it tries to make location determination more accurate by (probably, that's part of the experimental stuff) including the WiFi hotspot information that G' gathered 'by accident' using the Streetview recordings, and connection accesspoint detection when using G' applications.
You are correct in that you have to go to the actual location to activate any 'detection'. There is no global database available where Cell ID, location and range is stored, and the data is also quite dynamic, as base stations seem to be relocated or replaced from time to time, most likely based on technical triggers (I can only assume). Most likely there is data about these Cell Phone basestations, but not publicly available and per provider only.

@Kalos: Did you already try the suggestions JoTo gave about Tasker and AutoLocation? Yes, it's not free but quite affordable (as most payed Android apps), and if it works you'll end up buying them anyway ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version