ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Trick-or-treat caramel onions

<< < (3/3)

40hz:
^Like making yogurt or cheese. Start with a small batch of fermenting fruit which somebody gave you. (I think the person who stated it got champagne yeast from a home brewing store.)
Put it in a large glass topped jar. Add drained canned fruit. Cubed pineapple, peaches, and pears work best. Fruit cocktail also works. Add back a little of the canned syrup from the peaches or pears. Gently mix, cover, and leave alone for a few days. Sniff and consume when alchohol level gets where you want it. Reserve a few ounces as the starter for the next batch.

If you let it sit too long the alcohol content will get too high, which ruins the fruit flavor - and also kills the yeast culture. So you need to be eating and replenishing your batch on a regular basis.

Thats about it. :)

tomos:
Reminds me of neuer wein (Federweisser/wikipedia) you get here in late-summer/early-autumn. It's basically fermented grape juice. I like it myself before it get's too strong. When it has a bit of alcohol in it, I find it has quite a different effect to 'normal' alcohol - spaced feeling, headache/hangover kicks in very quick. Around here (Pfalz), they eat zwiebelkuchen (onion 'cake'/tart) with it. Nice, but a dangerously explosive combination for me...

:-[

crabby3:
I think I want to try one of those. What type of onion do they use? :P
-40hz (September 12, 2012, 02:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

They look like white.  :P  Devious, demented, harmless idea.
---------

Any naked-apples were tossed on the givers swale.  A heads-up for others.  (pre porch-light etiquette)

Stoic Joker:
I think I want to try one of those. What type of onion do they use? :P
-40hz (September 12, 2012, 02:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

They look like white.  :P  Devious, demented, harmless idea.-crabby3 (October 31, 2014, 05:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

With any luck they're Vidalia

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version