ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows VISTA review by Scot Finnie

<< < (3/3)

Innuendo:
Lots and lots of good information and posts in this thread. I'll just throw out a few thoughts on some of the things said.

1. Anyone who reviews a beta operating system has no credibility with me. At best it should be called a preview. Reviews are only for final products.

2. As a beta tester of many Microsoft operating systems I can tell you that until RC1 hits any feature can change, be removed or have its implementation changed at a moment's notice. Writing this kind of article about what consumers won't like about the upcoming OS is pointless at this point in the game. When the next build rolls out to testers, things could be radically different in any aspect.

3. As shocking as it may sound to some there are actually some people who are not fans of the Apple Way of doing things. Some people think stainless steel skins with pinstriped backgrounds are not the pinnacle of UI design but look rather tacky & gaudy.

4. There's no way on God's green Earth Apple is ever going to sell OS X as a version that can run on any PC. What profit they'd make in extra copies sold would be more than eaten up by the losses they'd take by the amount of money they'd lose in hardware sales. If you see two computers side by side both capable of running OS X equally well, but one costs $2,000 and the other costs $1,000. Which one are you going to buy? Hint: You're going to buy the one that does not have the Apple logo on the case. If you also factor in the time, money, and research Apple would have to put into writing drivers for every conceivable piece of hardware available for the PC world & the testing of OS X to be able to work on those countless myriad configurations, you can see why Apple's in favored of their closed black box, errr...white box system.

5. Don't believe the OS X propaganda. Find an honest Mac user and you'll discover that OS X is slow...even a lumbering ox under some situations & under some circumstances crash just as often as Windows XP. I have never had a bit of trouble with my XP installation with blue screens & what-not, but there are some XP users that have nothing but trouble. Guess what? The Mac world is full of both kinds of people as well, those that never have crashes & those that have nothing but crashes.

6. Not mentioned anywhere in the thread, but on a related note, Apple is running a huge advertising campaign in the U.S. right now on television about how Macs never crash, they're superior, etc. Walk into nearly any store that sells computer software & you can see right away why Macs don't crash. A computer can't crash when it has no software available to run on it.  ;D  Seriously, though, in every store I venture into I see row upon row & aisle upon aisle of software for PC compatibles & never a single software package for the Mac. Unless one is a masochist, why lock one's self out of what 98% of the world uses & prevent yourself from using 98% of the software that's avaiable?

Bottom line is I don't see what is special about this Scott Finnie character. He's just a muppet with a web site...something anybody can accomplish with a few dollars a month.

mrainey:
He's just a muppet with a web site...something anybody can accomplish with a few dollars a month.
--- End quote ---

His forum is one of my personal favorites.

From his website:

"I've been a journalist for over 20 years. I've worked on staff at several computer magazines or online publications, including PC/Computing, FamilyPC, ZDNet, and Windows Magazine. I've also written articles for CNET, PC Magazine, PC World, MacWeek, Byte, ComputerWorld, PC Today, Personal Computing, Computer Life, Popular Science, and Popular Mechanics. Feel free to review my online resume for details.

I'm not one of those ivory-tower computer magazine editors; I like to get my hands dirty with hardware and code—to actually test stuff. That “stuff” includes Windows and other desktop operating systems, broadband Internet services, networking hardware and software, security products, and a long list of applications, utilities, and devices. I've written on these topics in magazines and books for years. I also write about those topics regularly in my newsletter."

Lashiec:
Hummm, the review of Windows Vista is nice, although I don't share the OS classification by quality that Scot uses (Windows Vista better than XP? Seems the other way around judging his review). The worst thing about this is memory requirements. If Vista needs 1 GB for normal operation of the SO, and disabling services doesn't help to lower this, I'll go the Mac way. I'm going to buy a new computer this summer to replace my six-year old machine, but if with the release of Vista, the computer gets automatically outdated, it'll be wasted money. I really hope that Microsoft improves all this before the final version (Scot says that Vista operates better using Aero than the legacy look of WinXP, that's something crazy) because Microsoft doesn't improve anything after that (only bugfixes), and it seems that the whole thing needs some optimization (I hope that Linux XGL won't need that much computer). The only thing keeping me tied to Windows is games (I have lots of them), but with Boot Camp, and a separate partition with Ubuntu and Wine, maybe I can do the change.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version