ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for desktop calendar software that can sync with Google Calendar

<< < (4/4)

dr_andus:
Another option worth mentioning is Pimlical.
http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/
It's a Java based app. Very capable.
-kunkel321 (September 13, 2014, 03:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the reminder. I have looked at Pimlical in the past, but apparently not carefully enough. The amount of options is pretty amazing (and possibly overwhelming...). And I suspect not many are going to beat its "Advanced Find"  ;)

Looking for desktop calendar software that can sync with Google Calendar

dr_andus:
Vueminder Calendar - http://www.vueminder.com/ - terrific program!-LM7
--- End quote ---

+1
There's a 'lite' free version to try.
-cranioscopical (September 14, 2014, 10:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

VueMinder Lite would have been ideal, as it's free, and only syncs one way with Google Calendar, which is what I want. But I'm having trouble with its syncing. When I click on "Sync Now", it would say "Syncing, you'll see your events in a few seconds", but then nothing happens. I had 0 events displayed in all the calendars for hours yesterday.

Eventually the synced events did show up this morning, when I restarted the app. I had around 3000 events synced in the main account. Then it started showing me hundreds of pop-up reminders. When I started closing them down, the app crashed. When I restarted it, all the synced data was gone, and there was nothing in the automatic backup. ( Since then I've changed the automatic backup settings to back up every 10 min., rather than the 8 hrs default, which failed to back it up.)

Now I tried syncing again, but I still have only 0 events, even though occasionally it says it's synchronising. Also, I unselected "Include reminders" in the sync settings, to avoid the hundreds of reminder pop-ups, but when I checked again, the app automatically re-ticked the box. Anyway, this does not encourage me to upgrade to the paid version at the moment, as it doesn't seem entirely reliable. Otherwise it does look nice and it would fit most of my criteria.

Jibz:
You should try contacting them, I remember from back when I used VueMinder that they had really good support.

dr_andus:
Thanks, in the meantime I managed to complete the sync. Maybe my system is just too old, as the app would hang often (Not responding), and my PC has a hard time dealing with the mass of reminders.

There is a lot to like about VueMinder, but I'm finding the Search function rather limited. It only seems to be able to display search results one at a time, incrementally, jumping to the next one in chronological order, without showing how many there are or how far they stretch back in time.

I think I may have to bite the bullet and read through Pimlical's 100-page manual, as I'm drawn to its elaborate search tool, and its other advanced features.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

kenmuse:
GO Contact Sync Mod is free and will now sync Outlook with Google calendar in Gmail.  It now sinks calendar, notes and contacts.  I have been using it to sink to my Gmail calendar, notes (in contacts) and contacts and gmail then sinks to my Android tablet Calendar and People and other apps that sync with them.  It has some basic controls like - which will win in a merge and will prompt you if set.  Caution when starting trust either Gmail or Outlook as the accurate source and copy all to the other until you are sure it is accurate - also before you start make a backup of your contacts just in case.  You can get it at http://googlesyncmod.sourceforge.net/ 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version