ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Power Cord Falling Out

<< < (2/3) > >>

tomos:
I seem to remember something like this posted on the forum.. but if not, i'd like to second this request. I've run out of battery power before because the cord had come unplugged and I didn't notice.
-mouser (October 29, 2014, 01:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

something like this was requested not long ago... found it:
4wd posted a script for it -

YTOTPC* - Pretty boring, any time there's a power state change it'll pop up a message box.  This could be connecting or disconnecting AC power.
[...]
* You Tripped Over The Power Cord
-4wd (January 04, 2014, 11:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

MilesAhead:
...BattCursor
-MilesAhead (October 29, 2014, 02:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks @MilesAhead, that looks like it could be rather more useful than any laptop power system software that I have yet come across. I shall have to try it out now.
-IainB (October 29, 2014, 02:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm glad yellowiscool asked for this.  Just today I was plugged into a very loose outlet at the library.  With the power boxes on the floor it's very easy to pull the plug out of a loose one without noticing.

Edit:  If you set the OSD to only show when on battery power then it's more obvious what's going on.  If the battery is showing I know I lost my A/C.

Renegade:
It's pretty easy if anyone wants to write up a new one. (My laptop isn't accessible at the moment to test.)

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18675025/way-in-net-c-to-easily-know-if-laptop-is-plugged-in

--- Code: C# ---Boolean isRunningOnBattery =      (System.Windows.Forms.SystemInformation.PowerStatus.PowerLineStatus ==        PowerLineStatus.Offline);
And:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/347862/how-to-detect-when-laptop-power-cable-has-been-disconnected

IainB:
...BattCursor
-MilesAhead (October 29, 2014, 02:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks @MilesAhead, that looks like it could be rather more useful than any laptop power system software that I have yet come across. I shall have to try it out now.
-IainB (October 29, 2014, 02:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm glad yellowiscool asked for this.  Just today I was plugged into a very loose outlet at the library.  With the power boxes on the floor it's very easy to pull the plug out of a loose one without noticing.
Edit:  If you set the OSD to only show when on battery power then it's more obvious what's going on.  If the battery is showing I know I lost my A/C.
-MilesAhead (October 29, 2014, 05:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, I saw that setting - that's how I set it too.
The installation process for the latest available version (v1.2) was very tidy, but after install (I'm using Win8.1-64 PRO) I had to enable access permissions for BattCursor to create and access C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Local\BattCursor. It kept abending with an error otherwise when I tried to establish the operational settings. PITA.
It also abended after I had set it to auto-update for a newer or ß version. It abended at the point when it discovered v1.2.0.1 was available, but could not access the server to download it. So I disabled the auto-update. PITA.

So I tried registering on the discussion forum to leave a note about it (feedback always being useful to a developer), but the registration process kept crashing with a vague "serious error" message. I persisted however with some trial-and-error, and finally got verified registration - I think it may have been objecting to special characters (non-alphameric) in the password I was using - the rules for same seemed a bit ambiguous. However, after setting up my profile, when I tried to post a message on the forum as a registered/verified member, it crashed with the same "serious error" message, so I gave up at that point. I tried it using IE and Firefox, but the result was the same in both cases. Looks like bad exception handling or something, on the server. PITA.

Despite this, the software seems to work OK so far. The change log history looks quite comprehensive and informative too - all nicely done.
I read on there that the forum server was being provided via a relatively new service supplier, so maybe they are having some teething troubles with it, or something. I shall try to post feedback again after a couple of days' elapsed time.

MilesAhead:
It just so happens I notice my Toshiba AC adapter has a short in the wire output from the transformer block thing.  Right now I'm able to keep it charging by twisting the wire just so.  But that won't last long.

Talk about future shock.  I seem to remember these types of gadgets selling for $5 or $10.  I hit a bunch of stores today.  The range for some "universal Laptop adapter" seems to be $35 to $85.

I found clones for it online at $24 but naturally when you go to the brick and mortar store they don't carry it as they want the bigger markup.  Yet again I'm hampered by not having a trustworthy mailing address.

This machine is so heavy to lug I'm half tempted to start pricing a new lighter Laptop before putting $65 into this for an AC adapter.  They really hammer you on the accessories.  :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version