ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Emergency Broadcast System ?

<< < (3/8) > >>

MilesAhead:
This is not a test
--- End quote ---
 Most answers seem logical to me.  :)

If I ever wrote a multiple choice test A would always be None of the Above.

MilesAhead:
This is not a drill.
--- End quote ---

You sure know how to hammer your point home.  I'd say you nailed it nicely.  :)

40hz:
In CT they activated the EBS at one point during Hurricane Sandy. It was a "take cover" announcement.

Most of the people who received the alert (because they still had power as opposed to the rest of us) bitched because it kept popping up over the TV show they were watching.

Radio is ok. Internet...meh!

I still think the old fashioned mechanical SD-10 air raid sirens that went off at noon every Saturday post WWII till about 1980 were the most reliable. (A steady siren meant: "alert" A rising and falling tone meant: "Sit down; face the nearest concrete wall; put head between legs - kiss ass goodbye!" as the saying went.

At least with those you could always hook a gas engine or car battery up to them (by design) and get them to work. If the grid is down, all the technology in the world becomes nothing but inert PC boards stuffed with electronics.

---------------------

@Miles - Those were the bad old days weren't they? Remember when the two civil defense radio frequencies were marked with a CD logo right on the AM dial of every radio sold in the USA?

MilesAhead:
@Miles - Those were the bad old days weren't they? Remember when the two civil defense radio frequencies were marked with a CD logo right on the AM dial of every radio sold in the USA?
--- End quote ---

I totally forgot about that until you mentioned it.  I remember the siren tests though.  In the Catholic elementary school I attended "duck and cover" was no easy task since the desks and chairs were bolted to the floor.  Those nuns didn't take any chances on us getting out of line.  :)

crabby3:
--- End quote ---

I totally forgot about that until you mentioned it.  I remember the siren tests though.  In the Catholic elementary school I attended "duck and cover" was no easy task since the desks and chairs were bolted to the floor.  Those nuns didn't take any chances on us getting out of line.  :)

-MilesAhead (October 28, 2014, 02:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Do or did nuns actually smack with rulers?  That seems to be the Standard Catholic Nun behavior in tv comedies.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version