ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

The Best Way to handle finding and removiong Duplicate Files

<< < (3/6) > >>

questorfla:
OK.  Another pile of treasure!    My lucky night.
My own contribution to this would be "Yet Another Duplicate File Remover" <YADFR> on Source Forge.  (I hope no one chimes in now that they got that and it messed up their system :(.  )
While it seems slower than some, it also was very thorough and extremely simple to use, Wizard and all.  I have not yet tested 4WD's scripts but from past experience i trust them implicitly.
Today has been one surprise after the next (all good so far) so I am hoping for some home runs tonight on something.

tomos:
Good to get a couple of recommendations for duplicate file finders :up:

@questerflora, any chance you could change the title of the thread to something more topic-related?
That would be helpful :) (I think it needs to be changed in first post to stick)

MilesAhead:
@questorfla could you check the total number of files in the tree?

One way is just to right click the root folder and click Properties.  If it is 4096 or less, MD5Hash can do it.  Just drag and drop the folder on a running MD5Hash or use the ancillary program to install the shell extensions. Once that is done, right click the root folder and click MD5Hash.

When done you can cut the results to clipboard and paste it into any editor such as EditPad Lite 7 which does line sorting.  The results are shown as the MD%Sum string followed by white space, then the full file path.  One file per line.

Edit:  This assumes all the files are in a tree with a single root folder.  Hidden and system files are ignored.

Edit2:  During testing I calculated MD5 for folders with some video files over 6 GB thrown in.  It completed with correct results.

questorfla:
First:  Happy New Year to all.
2nd.  Tomos:    I can't see a way to change th tile of an existing post?  Maybe here is one but nothing  I clicked on would get me there.
I appreciate everyone's good advice and even if it doesn't help ME, I am sure someone who reads these posts can use something of it.  Tough I agree I should have been more on topic when I named it :(

3rd:  Stoic.  This DE-duplicator in server 2012 sounds great and I can probably manage that.  I had looked at 2012 a while back but not sure what version.  Whatever it was, it seemed to be a command line only version of some sort, I am not sure I ever looked at a full GUI setup and probably should.
Thanks again to all.

tomos:
2nd.  Tomos:    I can't see a way to change th tile of an existing post?  Maybe here is one but nothing  I clicked on would get me there.
I appreciate everyone's good advice and even if it doesn't help ME, I am sure someone who reads these posts can use something of it.  Tough I agree I should have been more on topic when I named it :(
-questorfla (January 01, 2015, 04:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

guess I'm being a fussy beggar, but when you click on 'unread posts' and each time you cant remember what a particular thread is about :-[ (and you are not alone in using vague titles...)

Click 'modify' on the first post in the thread, and edit title thus:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version