ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

(Hypothetical): If DC Grouped Together...What could be achieved?

<< < (2/6) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
I occasionally have the unrealistic fantasy that groups like this one can put together a project that would provide incomes for the members who participate.  Sort of like using our talents/passions/skills to free us from perhaps our normal methods of making a living, which may be less than satisfying.  But these kinds of ideas never seem to really take off, and instead turn into soon to be abandoned open source projects.

I would be very interested if any such project was able to generate additional income for participants in a good way.
-superboyac (October 25, 2014, 08:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think the way to do it would be to treat it like a business, rather than a project.  What I mean by this is:

* Come up with an idea
* Write a business plan/proposition
* "Hire" Core Members and set out their tasks as you would in business (CEO, CFO, COO, Advertising etc)
* Run the project as a business as much as possible
I think doing it that way would give everybody a definitive thing to work on and there would be no ambiguity as to who is doing what, when they are doing it, and why they are doing it.

Obviously...for a group like DonationCoder, that business would have to be something like Software Development & Sales - But there much be other possibilities?  :huh:

wraith808:
App said the bit about DC 2.0 for a reason.  Seems like if anything could muster the troops, it would be that.  And with such a dated look, it should be that.  But... here we are.

KynloStephen66515:
App said the bit about DC 2.0 for a reason.  Seems like if anything could muster the troops, it would be that.  And with such a dated look, it should be that.  But... here we are.
-wraith808 (October 25, 2014, 10:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oops, I missed Apps post.

We might accomplish DoCo 2.0, or perhaps not.  :-[

We'd probably accomplish too many opinions, too much discussing, and no actual decisions that are actionable by anyone. Comparable to the development of any of a number of famous vaporware projects.

In a nutshell, we'd have to bring in an outside project manager, highly experienced in dealing with large groups of fiercely independent personalities, to have any hope of getting the project off the ground. Otherwise, we will just all run around doing our own thing, waiting for someone to tell us what needs to be done and what our part in it will be.

I am sorry that I am not kidding. Just being realistic.
-app103 (October 25, 2014, 07:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

It;s not really a bad thing to agree with you there to be honest...and if I am honest...that makes more sense than anything I have ever said/thought on the subject. +1  :Thmbsup:

J-Mac:
I remember a few years back someone here suggested creating a software group on a relatively new social network called "Facebook".   :P  Actually that is exactly when I joined that soulless network. Unfortunately, after forming the group we never did do anything.   :(

Do you all (who originally joined that group) remember?

Jim

app103:
Do you all (who originally joined that group) remember?
-J-Mac (October 25, 2014, 10:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I do...and I remember the one on Flickr, too...and maybe a few other places. We don't seem to do so well as a group, when we wander away from home (this forum).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version