ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

English Retail Sites Block Access from Quebec (self-censorship?)

<< < (2/2)

Stoic Joker:
Quebec's official language is French. Businesses are allowed to use other languages so long as French is prominent and given preferential treatment. Displaying a sign? French must be displayed first and in a larger font. Other languages may appear below in a smaller font. Setting up a voice menu for your customers? French first. Setting up your voicemail message for when you are out of the office? French first.-Innuendo (November 14, 2014, 07:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Having had to suffer through the annoyance of calling an American company from an American address only to have them start prattling at me in Spanish - Pressa Uno... - out of the gate more times than I care to count. I'd have to say hell Yeah, if X is the primary and officially spoken language of region Y...then they should be allow to assume it is safe and appropriate to lead with language X.

Christ, enough with the PC nonsense ... If somebody doesn't want to take the time to learn the local language then they can bloody well wait in line instead of holding it up for everyone else.

TaoPhoenix:

America is about to deal with the issue that maybe Canada looked into a while back - that there are "official languages", and then there are "rising" languages, notably Spanish. So companies think it's pretty good value for money if they throw in "for Spanish, press X". If they're really good, it means a Spanish operator at the end of the ugly menu.

That's just economics and programming. We don't have too many laws messing with who speaks what language, so that's different than Quebec and France.

40hz:
Well, like Alfred E. Neuman said: When money talks, nobody criticizes its accent. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version