ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox windows and CPU slow-downs and restarts

<< < (4/6) > >>

kenmuse:
When I started using Firefox regularly a few years ago I did find it slowed down and would crash when I had a lot of tabs open.  Over time it has improved.  But I noticed a real speed improvement when I installed extensions "Ad Block Plus" and "Do Not Track Me" - I think the reason is that Ads and tracking are loaded and take time and memory.  I use Session Manger and was using TabGroups Manager - would sometimes get up to 500 tabs open and I did not feel it slow down - I do have 16GB of memory and an i7 processor.  Now did it crash occasionally - yes and that is why to use Session Manger and save backups regularly.  I do push the number limit it seems with tabs.  Recently my Firefox crashed and would not open so I created a new profile and reloaded my extensions and am now trying Tab Mix Plus.  I do find the need to group is necessary.  TabGroups Manager is good I like that it gives a number count for each tab group and Tab Mix Plus does not.  Tab Mix Plus gives a lot more control over tab and toolbar appearance also.  open tab count widget gives a total count of tabs open.  Caution - you may have some trouble, like me, playing audio or video sometimes - if I trust the site I will unblock it in Do Not Track Me, sometimes I have to copy the url and open it in another browser that is not blocking.

eleman:
When I started using Firefox regularly a few years ago I did find it slowed down and would crash when I had a lot of tabs open.  Over time it has improved.  But I noticed a real speed improvement when I installed extensions "Ad Block Plus" and "Do Not Track Me" - I think the reason is that Ads and tracking are loaded and take time and memory.  I use Session Manger and was using TabGroups Manager - would sometimes get up to 500 tabs open and I did not feel it slow down - I do have 16GB of memory and an i7 processor.  Now did it crash occasionally - yes and that is why to use Session Manger and save backups regularly.  I do push the number limit it seems with tabs.  Recently my Firefox crashed and would not open so I created a new profile and reloaded my extensions and am now trying Tab Mix Plus.  I do find the need to group is necessary.  TabGroups Manager is good I like that it gives a number count for each tab group and Tab Mix Plus does not.  Tab Mix Plus gives a lot more control over tab and toolbar appearance also.  open tab count widget gives a total count of tabs open.  Caution - you may have some trouble, like me, playing audio or video sometimes - if I trust the site I will unblock it in Do Not Track Me, sometimes I have to copy the url and open it in another browser that is not blocking.
-kenmuse (October 30, 2014, 07:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Using paragraphs can also help :P

Anyway, I also agree with you, that adblocking helps with memory consumption.

MilesAhead:
So far Firefox 33.02 installed 32 bit for Windows is much snappier in Hotmail.  Of course it will still bog if I'm loading 8 or 9 tabs with Tab Grenade.

I'm curious.  Has anyone tried FF portable out of a Ramdisk?  I tried it in the past for faster launching.  But I didn't try it as a solution/work-around for bogging once loaded.

Edit:  Here's the guide I used if anyone is curious:
http://www.wikihow.com/Speed-Up-Firefox-by-Running-It-In-RAM

I found it better to load from a FF Portable on disk as shown in the guide.  For modifications, such as installing a new AddOn I would just run from the HD.  Saving changes by saving the Ramdisk image on shutdown seemed too cumbersome to me when I could just dump it and load on next boot from the FF Portable folder tree.

ilikefree09:
I was having my FF cache on ram and that seemed to help but because I don't have a lot of ram I switched back to keeping it on the disc.
It was after reading it could be better if you use a SSD that I tried it
It did make things load faster though

tomos:
Firefox got really bad in the last couple of weeks here - tabs became unclickable, the one to the right would get focus; had to restart very often as it would eventually just sieze up & the plugin container would crash (Flash would also crash occasionally, but that's always been a problem I find).
So I started it without plugins and it worked fine [Click the menu button =>, click help => and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled.... Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog.]

So I restarted and disabled all the add-ons I thought I could do without.
It's working very nicely so far, the usual memory consumption, will have to wait see how long it takes to goe overboard. CPU usage is almost nil (tbh I didnt check what it was before).

I didnt bother trying to figure out exactly which add-on was causing the problem/s.
(BTW is there any way of exporting a list of add-ons?)

EDIT// Version 33.1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version