ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox windows and CPU slow-downs and restarts

<< < (2/6) > >>

40hz:
I haven't found FF version 28.0 (running on Linux) to be all that bad. About the only sites that give it occasional grief are the usual suspects: YouTube/GMail/Hotmail. Everything else generally works well including Amazon. Running FF on Windows 7 Pro is a different story. The Windows version of FF is almost unusable IMO. I've since switched to IE when in Windows. (When in Rome as the saying goes.)

tomos:
Yeah, Firefox has been a problem on win7 x64 here for a long time now. (And I gave up on PaleMoon x64 completely cause it just took over.)
Lately it's been very slow after startup, so I just leave it a minute or two.

I restart it every day - & also use Session Manager - you can set it to show a list of sessions on startup, your choice then which to go with.

Steven Avery:
Thanks great responses.

It sounds like Windows 7 is the same basic situation. 

As for the alternate browser, I always have that in theory, now in practice I think I will deputize google for ..
 a) gmail
 b) listhings (my personal notes online, google keep +++)
 c) maybe radio, I use Live365 and some others, and at times utube.   

Nice, simple 3 to 5 stable items out of the way, 2 of them that could crunch firefox. The notes makes sense because you can always find the window quickly with a single click or two. (Since Google will only have one window open with 3-5 tabs.) 

I had put little Firefox kill button on the right, using PsKill and a shortcut, and with MaxMax it was never covered so can get there even when things are real slowww .. I'll add the internal restart extension too, just for variety.

Big question.  I was at MicroCenter (some of those places are pretty sharp in my experience) and was playing on their MiniMac (I do have an Airpad so Macs are not so foreign) and it was very nice. The salesman said his Firefox experience was tons better on the Mac, in terms of this problem.  Anybody able to verify, or not?

Steven

dr_andus:
As for the alternate browser, I always have that in theory, now in practice I think I will deputize google for ..
 a) gmail
 b) listhings (my personal notes online, google keep +++)
 c) maybe radio, I use Live365 and some others, and at times utube.
-Steven Avery (October 23, 2014, 03:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

I use this strategy (using Google services such as Google Calendar, Drive, Sheets etc. in Chrome, and using Firefox for everything else). But I've been finding that Chrome runs a lot of processes in the background, which I presume also must be some drain on resources (RAM)?

E.g. currently I have 4 tabs open in Chrome, one Chrome app (WorkFlowy) running, and the Google Drive off-line sync client, yet there are 25 instances of chrome.exe processes running, each using different amounts of RAM... I can't tell what they are, unfortunately.

bit:
On certain websites I frequent that I know will try to load a lot of stuff, I watch the side slider until it jumps from long to short, count quickly to 3, and click on 'Stop' in the Navigation bar to cut off extra junk loading up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version