ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Chip Wars: AMD vs Intel .... GO!

(1/3) > >>

KynloStephen66515:

Which one is best?  What would you choose?  Why would you choose it?  Why is the person choosing the other one wrong?

YOU DECIDE!

MilesAhead:
I don't know but I seem to be 180 degrees out of phase.  I bought 2 HP desktops in succession with Intel Pentium 4 CPUs with hyper-threading when i should have purchased AMD 64 bit CPU based machines.  When I finally got a quad core it was a Phenom I when I should have purchased one of the Intel quads.

I think the only one I was really happy with was the AMD 5200+ Dual Core.  That machine ran smooth and quiet.  It performed fairly well considering it only had 2 GB ram.  But it had one of those crippled Intel on the motherboard video chips with only 8 MB ram on the chip.

All the other listed CPUs were very noisy.

Deozaan:
All the other listed CPUs were very noisy.-MilesAhead (October 22, 2014, 06:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Do CPUs actually make noise? :huh:

eleman:
I think the only one I was really happy with was the AMD 5200+ Dual Core.  That machine ran smooth and quiet.  It performed fairly well considering it only had 2 GB ram.  But it had one of those crippled Intel on the motherboard video chips with only 8 MB ram on the chip.
-MilesAhead (October 22, 2014, 06:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

How on earth were you able to run an AMD cpu on Intel chipset?

Shades:
All the other listed CPUs were very noisy.-MilesAhead (October 22, 2014, 06:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Do CPUs actually make noise? :huh:
-Deozaan (October 22, 2014, 07:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you put them in a microwave... :P

The CPU fans of your Intel processors were crap. An after market CPU fan would have made a lot of difference. Never had noisy stock CPU fans...then again every 6 months or so I thoroughly clean out the accumulated dust in each PC. Graphite or other forms of lubricant I apply as well (when necessary).

Back to the topic: Depends on the main task of the PC, to be honest. I have had good experiences with multi-cores from both AMD and Intel. In the days of the single-core CPU's I rather used AMD. Most of my servers still use those CPU's as they are still going strong after 10 years.

However, I do work with a lot of i5 (2nd gen) and i7 CPU's (1st gen) in workstations & servers as well. To my knowledge, AMD is better when you work with multi-threading software. Price wise there isn't much difference between AMD or Intel here in Paraguay. Whatever money you save with the AMD CPU, you have to spend on more expensive motherboards.

As there isn't that much software out (for consumers) that actively/efficiently uses multi-threading, my choice today would be to buy Intel for raw calculation performance.

Don't have experience with the AMD APU's, but I do find these interesting. But these are not available through the regular retail channels over here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version