ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

when will we eventually be able to

<< < (2/12) > >>

SeraphimLabs:
Even better would be some type of data exchange when the nozzle is inserted.  I guess avoiding an electric current would be paramount with the proximity to the gasoline.  Perhaps some kind of magnetic field data doodad.  Your car would get a record how much gas at what price was added to the tank and the pump would get your ID for debit.

That way if someone snatched your plate you wouldn't be financing their joy rides as they stuck it on one car after another.

Also I was thinking there should be some way to detect the equivalent of octane in the fuel and adjust the spark advance settings in the ignition computer system.  I have been thinking about that because I see Miami cops tromp on the accelerator and their cruisers sound like crap.  The spark advance is not right.  It makes me wince every time I listen to the engine fighting itself.  No doubt they put low octane fuel in cars with high compression engines.

I don't know how difficult the octane detection would be.  But once known the spark advance intelligence should not be difficult to program.

-MilesAhead (October 20, 2014, 11:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

Or they need to change the air filter- when the cops stomp on it the motor is starved out.

Most ECM engines already try to run the timing as advanced as the engineers at the factory measured that engine design as being compatible with, then retard the timing slightly when the knock sensor registers spark knock or when the crank position sensor registers that the shaft was slowed instead of accelerated- indicating a too-advanced condition.

The way I would do this is attach a QR code reader to the gas nozzle, and a placard containing a user-changeable QRcode right next to the fuel tap. So you insert the nozzle into the car and pull the trigger completely like normal, and it automatically scans the QR code, approves the transaction, and dispenses fuel.

Then people who don't want to participate in this system can simply remove the QR code from the pouch, and if you need to change what account it bills to at the pump you can easily switch QR codes by sliding them out of the pouch and putting another in its place.

Hmm. I wonder if this can be made to work with bitcoin...

eleman:
Have you heard of this new invention called the wheel?
-eleman (October 20, 2014, 11:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

oh we don't have it here in UK
where are you based? do you have it?
-kalos (October 20, 2014, 12:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm in Turkey, and all major fuel distributors offer systems like these. Most firms and fleets buy fuel for their cars using systems like these. You can track almost everything and set any limits. I use an equivalent system from another brand, but couldn't find an english language site for it, so you have shell's instead.

kalos:
MilesAhead what do you say now?  :)

MilesAhead:
MilesAhead what do you say now?  :)
-kalos (October 20, 2014, 12:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

On the gas ID thing it could be WiFi for that matter.  Same with info from the pump as to amount,price,octane rating etc..  The computer in the vehicle could calculate the net octane rating from all the mixes of gas.  Much simpler than actually analyzing it.  Of course things would have to be standardized to avoid being locked in to one gasoline company etc..

On the police cars when they are tuned up they are set to the spec in the book.  What's in the computer is done at the factory.  Most likely some pencil pusher cost accountant comes up with the brilliant idea of buying the cheap gas.  Thus the timing under load is way too advanced.  The guy doing the tune-up can see if the air filter is clogged pretty easily.  Getting gas with the octance available when the car was manufactured is another matter if the cop car has a big V8.

Before electronic ignition and after they started raising the gas prices if I knew the customer was burning regular in a high compression engine I used to performance time it via test drive.  It would at least not react like a bucking bronco.  But it's not worth the effort if you get some dick who wants the settings "by the book" as you can never get  him to admit the gasoline available when he bought the car is not for sale now.  Thus making the initial timing wrong.  Especially if the cheap bastard is buying regular on top of it.  :)

kalos:
MilesAhead what do you say now?  :)
-kalos (October 20, 2014, 12:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

On the gas ID thing it could be WiFi for that matter.  Same with info from the pump as to amount,price,octane rating etc..  The computer in the vehicle could calculate the net octane rating from all the mixes of gas.  Much simpler than actually analyzing it.  Of course things would have to be standardized to avoid being locked in to one gasoline company etc..

On the police cars when they are tuned up they are set to the spec in the book.  What's in the computer is done at the factory.  Most likely some pencil pusher cost accountant comes up with the brilliant idea of buying the cheap gas.  Thus the timing under load is way too advanced.  The guy doing the tune-up can see if the air filter is clogged pretty easily.  Getting gas with the octance available when the car was manufactured is another matter if the cop car has a big V8.

Before electronic ignition and after they started raising the gas prices if I knew the customer was burning regular in a high compression engine I used to performance time it via test drive.  It would at least not react like a bucking bronco.  But it's not worth the effort if you get some dick who wants the settings "by the book" as you can never get  him to admit the gasoline available when he bought the car is not for sale now.  Thus making the initial timing wrong.  Especially if the cheap bastard is buying regular on top of it.  :)

-MilesAhead (October 20, 2014, 02:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

ok ok  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version