ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

when will we eventually be able to

<< < (6/12) > >>

MilesAhead:
Why would petrol companies deny money from people with inferior or not specific dna?

--- End quote ---

The same reason Winston Smith could not get new razor blades.  The politics of shortage.  Winston was only a member of the Outer Party(tm.)

KynloStephen66515:
hello!

when will we eventually be able to go to a petrol station, fill our car, and pay automatically, contactless, instantly?

by a system that will recognize our plate and charge our account accordingly?

ok, if you want we can enter our pin to authorise the transaction, but for me personally it isn't necessary

thanks!
-kalos (October 20, 2014, 11:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Have you heard of this new invention called the wheel?
-eleman (October 20, 2014, 11:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

oh we don't have it here in UK
where are you based? do you have it?
-kalos (October 20, 2014, 12:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

You do realise we have Contactless payment available at Tesco Petrol stations amongst many many others...for the most part, ASDA petrol stations are unmanned and require you to enter your Credit Card before pumping fuel...which...to be honest...if you are refueling...you are going to be standing around anyway, so it's not like you could be doing anything other than standing there...so it doesn't really take extra time  :huh:
-Stephen66515 (October 20, 2014, 04:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

I just used BP and it didn't have any such feature! Do I need a special card to pay contactless?
-kalos (October 21, 2014, 02:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes...you need a contactless payment card (Pretty standard with all new accounts these days - I got mine with Halifax - didn't ASK for it, but it came as part of the account - seen people with Barclays and TSB who both hve contactless available)

Just look for the logo below:

Stoic Joker:
This to me is more of a downside to technology, when things get created solely because they can be with little or no regard for the ramifications. Or more specifically ... What problem are we trying to solve here??

To put gas in you car there is an inherent risk of physical exposure because you need to exit the safety envelope of the vehicle. You have to interact with the gas pump to select a grade, put the nozzle in the tank, get your receipt (if desired), and of course as is being discussed pay for said fuel. Now the problem here - for me - is that in the interest of...I'm not entirely even sure...an additional risk is being added to the operation by exposing the transaction to anyone in the vicinity by transmitting it through/out into the air...for the sole purpose of shaving ~3 seconds off a 5 minute operation ... Why?

kalos:
Stoic Joker, it's not 3 seconds of the operation

In order to understand it, you just need to let your fantasy free

Imagine, which would be the best way to refuel your car?

To me, I would just go to the station, and without leaving my car, an automatic robotic arm will insert the nozzle in the tank, fill it, and I just leave!

Now what do I do? I arrive at the station and wait in the quete, I start/stop the car few times, until I reach the filling point, I open the door and get out in the cold, put the nozzle, fill the tank, leave my car open and unsecure to go to the kiosk of the station, wait in the queue, interact with the cashier, search for money in my pocket and wait for change given which can be made a mistake or put out the card from my squeezed wallet, insert it to the slot, wait to connect, put my card back again, and then go back to my car, fasten my seatbelt, etc

I really doubt it's a 3 seconds improvement

It's not about convenience only, it's about both speed and security

SeraphimLabs:
But you open up an even larger security problem- risk of access to your entire account or other people placing transactions on your account that you have no easy way to disprove.

Just to get that tiny amount of security of not getting mugged and ripped off in the well lit and video recorded space of the gas station beside the pump.

Robotic fueling arms probably won't become a thing unless auto manufacturers agree on a standard for the placement of the fuel neck on the vehicle. Right now they are far too varied, a system would have to optically scan the car, try to find and open the hatch, try to find and open the cap, try to insert the nozzle, and the whole time hope that it isn't punching a hole in the car's body or dispensing fuel onto the ground because it missed the opening.

So unless either manufacturers standardize the height, angle, and lengthwise position of the fueling point on the vehicle, you're still going to have to get out of your car anyway in order to place the nozzle into the tank.

An optical based solution would work very nicely here, as it would require that you have already unlocked your gas door to even get access to it, and dirt buildup is a trivial issue because it is in an accessible location where it can be wiped clean if there is a problem reading it. That lets you transfer account info in a manner compatible with the handling of fuel without the wide angle interception risk of a RFID or magnetic transponder package.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version