ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2015

NANY PRE-RELEASE: Dedicated Windows client for Slack

<< < (2/8) > >>

app103:
Slack used by companies for internal communications, sort of a cross between Twitter and IRC, but more private. It's actually kind of cool.

One of the companies I work for has a paid Slack account and uses it a lot. There is kind of a need for me to keep this open at all times, but for Windows users, the only options available are in your browser, or via using the IRC or XMPP gateways (which both leave something to be desired).

Having to have yet another browser tab open at all times is something I'd like to avoid. Mac users, which would describe most of my co-workers, have an official dedicated Slack app they can use (very much like what Stephen has built), as do mobile users. The best they can offer for Windows & Linux users is instructions for how to create a desktop shortcut that will open Slack in Chrome. I wouldn't call that a good substitute for a dedicated app.

KynloStephen66515:
The only problem I'm having atm is how to store cookies so you can store your logins...difficult to work with a little known browser engine that is under-documented :(

strochkov:
+1
I like Slack! It will be really nice to have "native" app, with abililty to minimize it to tray

strochkov:
The only problem I'm having atm is how to store cookies so you can store your logins...difficult to work with a little known browser engine that is under-documented :(
-Stephen66515 (October 20, 2014, 03:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Are you using cef?

KynloStephen66515:
[/quote :o

Are you using cef?
-Stephen66515 (October 20, 2014, 03:28 AM)
--- End quote ---
-strochkov (October 20, 2014, 05:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
Nope, I'm using one called Awesomium. Not 100% sure what it is based on but it worked very nicely for the main functions.

To be honest, it looks like I am going to have to code together the functions for cookie and session storage myself as there doesn't seem to be a more viable solution using this engine.

Ahh well, I'll get her working :) for now, the main things are done and if you are willing to sign in each time you launch, then it isn't really an issue :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version