ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Ad blocking add-ons in Pale Moon 25

<< < (2/3) > >>

4wd:
Google Maps now appears to honour Pale Moon's GUID - it no longer tells me I'm using an outdated browser and it displays the newer Maps interface.

4wd:
Moonchild Productions now has AdBlock Latitude - a replacement for AdBlock+ and AdBlock Edge that works with the Pale Moon browser.

About this extension

Adblock Latitude is a direct fork of Adblock Plus made specifically for the Pale Moon browser.

Adblock Latitude is designed to be a drop in replacement for ABP and will utilize all your exsisting settings. However, ABL is more than that. It intends to also replace Adblock Edge by removing the hard coded Acceptable Ads feature.

Adblock Latitude can be installed over the previously available Pseudo-Static version of Adblock Plus but you will have to uninstall the Pseudo-Static of Adblock Edge as these will conflict as will the orginal versions of ABP and ABE. Likewise, if you were an ABE user you will have to setup ABL to your previous settings.

Compatibility

Adblock Latitude version 3.0.2 works with Pale Moon 25.*
--- End quote ---

TaoPhoenix:
Heh since I was doing all the cleanup today, I finally upgraded!
(I'm almost as fast as ice age cycles!)

Meanwhile, something seems to be going on in AdBlock world.
It seems like Wladimir Palant is more in the scene of both Adblock Edge (where the about screen has a confusing double-credit but lists him first), and then AdBlock Plus seems to have fresh versions this month. So since then that all those months passed, does AdBlock officially support Pale Moon now? Did stuff change since this original info thread?

Though per 4wd's note above, I like this spirit of Adblock Latitude (from their page)

"Adblock Latitude is a direct fork of Adblock Plus made specifically for the Pale Moon browser.

Adblock Latitude is designed to be a drop in replacement for ABP and will utilize all your exsisting settings. However, ABL is more than that. It intends to also replace Adblock Edge by removing the hard coded Acceptable Ads feature."

So I'm going to go do that.

f0dder:
This seems like silly politics to me - if the rendering engine and internals are from mainline Firefox, just identify as that, regardless of using an old UI...

Adblock Latitude is designed to be a drop in replacement for ABP and will utilize all your exsisting settings. However, ABL is more than that. It intends to also replace Adblock Edge by removing the hard coded Acceptable Ads feature."-TaoPhoenix (April 07, 2015, 03:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
Huh, isn't the removal of Acceptable Ads one of the things that Adblock Edge is all about, and why it was forked from Adblock Plus?

TaoPhoenix:
This seems like silly politics to me - if the rendering engine and internals are from mainline Firefox, just identify as that, regardless of using an old UI...

Adblock Latitude is designed to be a drop in replacement for ABP and will utilize all your exsisting settings. However, ABL is more than that. It intends to also replace Adblock Edge by removing the hard coded Acceptable Ads feature."-TaoPhoenix (April 07, 2015, 03:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
Huh, isn't the removal of Acceptable Ads one of the things that Adblock Edge is all about, and why it was forked from Adblock Plus?
-f0dder (April 08, 2015, 03:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hence some of my notes!

1. The engines are "sorta" from Firefox - they're supposed to be stripped slightly to run a hair faster on Windows, though I never really traced any of that. I just kept seeing less Mozilla experimentation, and stayed here. See App's note from the fall about how slight differences (identifiers, and whatever else) began to affect actual usage.

2. Again, I just got lost with all of the "Sporking" of AdBlock ____, so I just posted my note again and responded as much to the above as anything, and news reporters are like magpies - they only post parts 1,3 and 7 of an 8 part story, so when I saw the owner switch-back, as I noted above, I was just as confused as you were, installed them both and decided to toggle them on and off as I desired, and left it at that. There's no reason you can't have both copies of the add-on "in the wings".

Plus, I swear just now I saw diffs in trying to adblock avatar images from here, starting with app's cat. Adblock Plus was not taking it at first, Adblock Latitude just did, and now it's hidden from both.

Bleh!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version