ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Ad blocking add-ons in Pale Moon 25

(1/3) > >>

app103:
Users of the Pale Moon browser recently discovered, upon upgrading to Pale Moon 25, that 2 popular add-ons for blocking ads (Adblock Plus & Adblock Edge) no longer worked properly. The main complaint was the disappearance of the toolbar icon.

This issue was the result of a decision of the Pale Moon developers to stop identifying the browser as Firefox variant, and for Pale Moon to have its own unique application GUID.

In most cases this caused no issues with regards to add-on compatibility, since Pale Moon does accept add-ons with a Firefox GUID, as well as those with a Pale Moon GUID.

But with regards to Adblock Plus and Adblock Edge, there will be a need going forward for both add-ons to officially support Pale Moon, or they will not work.

You can read more about it here:

* Extensions and Pale Moon 25
* Changes to Pale Moon GUID and XUL Overlay Adjustments
Unless and/or until both add-ons begin officially supporting Pale Moon, you will either have to find other means for blocking ads, or use this edited Adblock Plus add-on, from the Pale Moon site. Please be sure to remove Adblock Plus/Adblock Edge from your browser before installing this version:

* Adblock Plus (Pseudo-Static)
After installing this version you will notice the return of your toolbar icon and that the add-on functions as it should.

TaoPhoenix:

Looks like good info.

But it's complicated. What does that mean in bigger terms?

app103:
What it means is that unless and until the developers of both Adblock Plus and Adblock Edge decide to officially support Pale Moon, you will not be able to use the official versions of those add-ons and will have to rely the one I linked to, instead.

TaoPhoenix:
What it means is that unless and until the developers of both Adblock Plus and Adblock Edge decide to officially support Pale Moon, you will not be able to use the official versions of those add-ons and will have to rely the one I linked to, instead.
-app103 (October 17, 2014, 08:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, it's "just" Adblock, not more serious anti-virus software. I already have Adblock 2.1.5 on my copy of Palemoon 24.5, so I guess I will stay here for a while.

Sigh. It used to be "common wisdom" to update early and often. Now it seems like there's way more strange marketing politics going on than the good ol' days of Web 1.0
: (

app103:
I already have Adblock 2.1.5 on my copy of Palemoon 24.5, so I guess I will stay here for a while.
-TaoPhoenix (October 17, 2014, 09:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

You can and should upgrade Pale Moon to v25, for security reasons.

Just replace your current ABP with the edited one I linked to. Once either ABP or ABE releases their own version that officially supports Pale Moon, everything will be back to normal.  :)

It's not politics in this case. The decision to drop the info labeling Pale Moon as a variant of Firefox was for the users, so they would stop getting crap from sites about running an outdated version of Firefox. It's not outdated. The GUI may be based on Firefox 24, but the backend is very much matched to the current release of Firefox.

The issue with ABP & ABE is more related to them catching up with the changes, and hopefully they will. Otherwise someone may have to keep editing the official releases of ABP to work with Pale Moon.

I am also hoping Google gets with it, catches up, and stops treating Pale Moon as an unknown browser that needs to use the old versions of their pages. I am having to use User Agent Switcher with the Pale Moon 24 user agent to get the newer toolbar with the G+ alerts and the newer Google Images UI. Without the mention of Firefox in the user agent, they are treating Pale Moon as if it were IE 6 or some kind of crap that can't handle their newer UI.  :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version