ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Service: Proof of Existence

<< < (3/4) > >>

Deozaan:
But the hash still proves nothing about the document other than that it existed. I could make a blank txt file called SuperGeniusIdea.txt and put the hash in the blockchain and then when I want to sue Apple for bajillions for infringing on my patent, I could just point to that hash and say, "SEE! I hashed my document on the blockchain years ago!"

So I still don't see the point in this service.

Renegade:
But the hash still proves nothing about the document other than that it existed. I could make a blank txt file called SuperGeniusIdea.txt and put the hash in the blockchain and then when I want to sue Apple for bajillions for infringing on my patent, I could just point to that hash and say, "SEE! I hashed my document on the blockchain years ago!"

So I still don't see the point in this service.
-Deozaan (October 16, 2014, 01:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Here's what happens...

1) You get the hash.
2) You enter it into the blockchain.
3) Wait...
4) Infringement...
5) Pull out hash from the blockchain & compare to hash of the document that you have. 100% proof.

Does that make sense then? You have your dated, secure source that PROVES beyond ANY doubt that the document that you are showing was present then.

I could make a blank txt file called SuperGeniusIdea.txt and put the hash in the blockchain and then when I want to sue Apple for bajillions for infringing on my patent, I could just point to that hash and say, "SEE! I hashed my document on the blockchain years ago!"
-Deozaan (October 16, 2014, 01:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

You would still need to produce the document that showed that Apple stole from you and then you would have to show that the hash for it matches the hash in the blockchain.

Deozaan:
Well of course I'd have revised my brilliant plan over the years... And dangit-all! When I updated Adobe PDF Maker/Microsoft Word it saved it in a new format that changed the hash! And when I opened the file on Linux it changed the line endings, too!

But I swear it was all in the document I hashed 5 years ago! Promise!

Renegade:
Well of course I'd have revised my brilliant plan over the years... And dangit-all! When I updated Adobe PDF Maker/Microsoft Word it saved it in a new format that changed the hash! And when I opened the file on Linux it changed the line endings, too!

-Deozaan (October 16, 2014, 01:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hahaha! Yeah, that won't fly. You need to keep proper records. Which isn't hard. You simply archive it and back it up.

wraith808:

-Deozaan (October 16, 2014, 01:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hahaha! Yeah, that won't fly. You need to keep proper records. Which isn't hard. You simply archive it and back it up.
-Renegade (October 16, 2014, 02:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

And as it changes, you have to do it again, and again.  There are already manual services that do this- and it costs a pretty penny.  I used to contract as an auditor for lawyers that did this very thing; I'd have to audit the code to make sure it did what they said it did... and then it was certified.  It was expensive for the people having it done, and lucrative for me.  This would take that costly human effort out of the middle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version