ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

driveless cars

<< < (10/12) > >>

wraith808:
you who moan about driveless technology, you have already used it, if you have flied with an aeroplane-kalos (October 17, 2014, 05:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

There's not a lot of cross traffic at 30,000 feet.

what is the possibility for aeroplane automatic pilot systems to fail?-kalos (October 17, 2014, 05:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well... they do seem to make a point of having a someone sit there ready to take over in case an alarm goes off...and there a second someone there to back the first someone up if they're in the bathroom when the alarm goes off. So I'm guessing that somebody - who's willing to waste the money on paying all these people - thinks it is a possibility.

and how high would be the percentages of aircraft accidents if there weren't automatic pilot systems?
-kalos (October 17, 2014, 05:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

IIRC autopilot was added primarily as a convenience to mitigate the really boring parts. So outside of preventing the plane from wandering off course...(making them late)...it's not really a safety system.
-Stoic Joker (October 17, 2014, 06:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

All of the above.  And it's the pilots *job* to monitor, and be willing to take over.  If it is an ubiquitous technology on the streets... people can't even drive without being distracted.  You want to tell me that if something unforeseen happens they'll be paying enough attention to switch over?  Or even be able to react in time...

kalos:
UK to allow driverless cars on public roads in January

Stoic Joker:
UK to allow driverless cars on public roads in January-kalos (October 17, 2014, 02:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, some people are trying it, in some places...tentatively ...And that's fine. It's what is colloquialisticly referred to as 'sticking a toe in the water'. Nobody however is jumping to mandate it as option on all 2016 vehicles ... Which seems to be what you're pushing for. The technology is simply not mature enough.

So unless one's objective is to get a bunch of people killed...caution is warranted. Much like the article I posted earlier implied, it would be foolhardy at best to perceive this technology as a magic bullet. Because you're only going to alter which people get killed how ... Not save them all.

As the admin for many managed business networks, I see all sorts of truly bizarre issues crop up in systems that  - "smart" as computers are... - then invariably require me to sort out what really went wrong after some maintenance, management, or security system completely borked the end result that the end user thought they were waiting on. So knowing this, would I be willing to bet my life on a (linear thinking) computers ability to (fail at generating a truly random number and) contend with the chaos that is modern day traffic? Hell no.

The computer can't look into the window of the cars around me and react to the fact that the driver is on the phone, disciplining an unruly child, bopping to the radio a bit too enthusiastically, or just looking totally pissed-off-at-the-world ... But I sure as shit can.

And even if everyone went driverless tomorrow - to completely remove the people factor - there will still be glitches that result in fatalities...and I'm neither willing or interested in gambling on those odds. Because nothing in IT is truly "Standard" ... And if you want proof of that feel free to pick any two routers from two different manufacturers and try to set up a VPN between them. When you're finished tearing all your hair out, think about all the different auto manufacturers, how they will design their systems, and the scant snowball's chance in hell that they will be able to effectively communicate anything useful before the point of impact.. :D

MilesAhead:
I think it is a done deal.  For one thing it's just too attractive to the authorities.  They can lock your doors, windows and passive restraint systems then steer you directly to jail whenever they want.  ;)

Carol Haynes:
"Your car needs to reboot to install updates" WTF!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version