ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

driveless cars

<< < (9/12) > >>

MilesAhead:
You might want to be able to take over when the computer says "Not my job man!"
-MilesAhead (October 16, 2014, 04:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is it OK if I image "The Dude" saying that?
 (see attachment in previous post)

-wraith808 (October 16, 2014, 05:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heh heh.  Freddie Prinze had the copyright.  But he's no longer with us.  So I guess The Dude can cop it.  :)

kalos:
you who moan about driveless technology, you have already used it, if you have flied with an aeroplane
what is the possibility for aeroplane automatic pilot systems to fail?
and how high would be the percentages of aircraft accidents if there weren't automatic pilot systems?

Stoic Joker:
you who moan about driveless technology, you have already used it, if you have flied with an aeroplane-kalos (October 17, 2014, 05:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

There's not a lot of cross traffic at 30,000 feet.

what is the possibility for aeroplane automatic pilot systems to fail?-kalos (October 17, 2014, 05:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well... they do seem to make a point of having a someone sit there ready to take over in case an alarm goes off...and there a second someone there to back the first someone up if they're in the bathroom when the alarm goes off. So I'm guessing that somebody - who's willing to waste the money on paying all these people - thinks it is a possibility.

and how high would be the percentages of aircraft accidents if there weren't automatic pilot systems?
-kalos (October 17, 2014, 05:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

IIRC autopilot was added primarily as a convenience to mitigate the really boring parts. So outside of preventing the plane from wandering off course...(making them late)...it's not really a safety system.

anandcoral:
WOW! People have already started standing on two sides for this 'driverless cars'.

Well this reminds me when Apple first announced 'IPad' technology. People will be people and corporates will make money.

Well I am more concern about 'programer-less NANY'. GOD save me, if it happens.

Regards,

Anand

MilesAhead:
IIRC autopilot was added primarily as a convenience to mitigate the really boring parts. So outside of preventing the plane from wandering off course...(making them late)...it's not really a safety system.
-Stoic Joker (October 17, 2014, 06:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Air_Lines_Flight_401

Not so much that the Auto Pilot failed as that everyone was so complacent relying on it.

---------

Captain Kirk just before setting off a nuclear charge on the planet surface "Beam me up Scotty!  Scot are you there?"  Scotty says "I cannot captain.  The Transporter is asking for my bloody PIN number and I forgot the damn thing!"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version