ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

driveless cars

<< < (7/12) > >>

kalos:
Oh thank God, this is so great news! Can't wait to have them!
-kalos (October 16, 2014, 04:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not...  :huh:
-Renegade (October 16, 2014, 07:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

ofcourse not! we are in a technology forum and I can't believe people are so much afraid of technological advancements!

wraith808:
I'm not ready to put my life in their hands.  Either as the passenger, or another driver on the streets.
-wraith808 (October 14, 2014, 02:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

But you're already doing that as another driver on the streets, since these vehicles are out there, and have been for years.
-Deozaan (October 16, 2014, 01:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

I answered that above.  And besides that, a controlled set is different from every driver.

wraith808:
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

ofcourse not! we are in a technology forum and I can't believe people are so much afraid of technological advancements!
-kalos (October 16, 2014, 08:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Technology is never the answer.  It's a tool, like any other, and we as people that are on a technology forum must have a much greater scrutiny of the uses and abuses of such things, IMO.  That old chestnut about when you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail?  That applies to technology, also.

It's very easy to fall into as a developer- using the latest features of development platforms just because it's cool.  But that makes a bad developer, and a client that's not well served.

This technology is not ready for prime-time.  That's the only thing we're saying.  Not that it will never be.  But that it's not currently.  And Google agrees.  And Elon Musk seems to agree.  So what's so wrong with us applying our scrutiny and agreeing?  Because it seems pretty obvious to me that it has a long way to go before its ready- and that it shouldn't be the default state until it is ready, and that the standards should be a lot higher than for a human driver.

Renegade:
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Technology is never the answer.  It's a tool, like any other, and we as people that are on a technology forum must have a much greater scrutiny of the uses and abuses of such things, IMO.  That old chestnut about when you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail?  That applies to technology, also.

It's very easy to fall into as a developer- using the latest features of development platforms just because it's cool.  But that makes a bad developer, and a client that's not well served.

This technology is not ready for prime-time.  That's the only thing we're saying.  Not that it will never be.  But that it's not currently.  And Google agrees.  And Elon Musk seems to agree.  So what's so wrong with us applying our scrutiny and agreeing?  Because it seems pretty obvious to me that it has a long way to go before its ready- and that it shouldn't be the default state until it is ready, and that the standards should be a lot higher than for a human driver.
-wraith808 (October 16, 2014, 10:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1,000

--- End quote ---

I'm F**KING TERRIFIED!!!

I get a lot of confidential documents across my desk from industry players and government think tanks.

The technology is advancing too fast. There is no common understanding for what it can do. It is being marketed as convenience, but that's not what's actually happening. Behind the scenes, it's not "convenience".

It's a tool, but... it's not going to be used well...

Again, privacy pops its head up.

Stoic Joker:
@Wraith - That was beautiful man!

we are in a technology forum and I can't believe people are so much afraid of technological advancements!
--- End quote ---

I believe the part you are missing, is that Automotive Technology, is technology too. And that there are many more aspects to it than just ease of navigation. I get the impression that you've never actually been behind the wheel of a real car...otherwise you'd readily understand the shear joy of putting one through its paces on an open road the way it was designed to be driven. But this is the problem with some of the current generations who have only been exposed to the bubble wrapped, mother approved, child proof, gutlessly sterile econo-class conveyances of today. Like the Toyota Prius, or that god awful MP3 player on wheels contraption from Kia they are trying to pretend is fun to drive...Ha! With a 0-to-60 time north of 18 seconds and a top speed of not really calling it a soul is just a bad joke...'cause it ain't got one - or any heart either.

Try sliding behind the wheel of one of the old muscle cars from their (late 60's early 70's) heyday. When you put one of them two the floor, the back two barrels open, and the beast comes alive ... Then you'll understand what it means to have a pulse.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version