ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

driveless cars

<< < (2/12) > >>

Stoic Joker:
what are the statistics to get a BSOD in a driveless car and what are the statistics of all those numerous reckless drivers to cause an incidence?-kalos (October 14, 2014, 08:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Here's the thing to keep in mind, nobody cares about your own - and by that I really do mean you specifically - safety, as much as you do. That's just the nature of how things work ... So being in a hurry to put your life in the hands of a device that isn't even capable of giving a shit about the outcome...just doesn't strike me as all that wise.

Now as for what entirely subjective nonsense I base that on, I'll have to simply refer you to any of the recent myriad of news reports dealing with massive recalls by auto manufacturers due to some miscellaneous system failing/malfunctioning resulting in the death of X people so far.

Now as far as the "reckless" bit it really depends on how you define it. However typically it generally gets plastered on the folks that drive fast and or aggressively...which is a load of crap. Speed doesn't kill, it never has, and it never will...because it simply can't. Speed is relative to the objects around you, simply avoid high closure rates and you'll be fine.

The things that do get people killed in traffic, (strangely) are exactly the same as the things that get people killed everywhere else: inexperience, inattention, and stupidity. Put down the phone and watch the road. Finland as I understand has very few traffic accidents despite their rather tricky roads...because they also have the stiffest drivers license exam. They actually expect people to know how to drive before letting them take a crack at it.

Deozaan:
Google has been testing driverless cars for years. On real streets. In real traffic.  As far as I know, there have been no accidents/collisions.

(Though the law requires a human in the vehicle, behind the wheel in case anything goes wrong.)

kalos:
Google has been testing driverless cars for years. On real streets. In real traffic.  As far as I know, there have been no accidents/collisions.

(Though the law requires a human in the vehicle, behind the wheel in case anything goes wrong.)
-Deozaan (October 14, 2014, 01:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

yeah, I know, but I don't see any major steps to move into a world with driveless cars

wraith808:
Google has been testing driverless cars for years. On real streets. In real traffic.  As far as I know, there have been no accidents/collisions.

-Deozaan (October 14, 2014, 01:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_driverless_car

There have been incidents.  And though they state that they were not the fault of the car.. what else would you expect them to say when there is doubt?

I'm not ready to put my life in their hands.  Either as the passenger, or another driver on the streets.

http://mashable.com/2012/08/07/google-driverless-cars-safer-than-you/

So Google has good reason to be proud; it is bringing us closer to the day when we'll be able to sit back, relax and do the crossword during our commute. But the company also admits it has a long way to go.

"To provide the best experience we can, we’ll need to master snow-covered roadways, interpret temporary construction signals and handle other tricky situations that many drivers encounter," writes Chris Urmson, the driverless car team's Engineering Lead, in a blog post. "For now, our team members will remain in the driver’s seats and will take back control if needed."

--- End quote ---

So if people are driving in these conditions- and those statistics are in the 'safer than you' calculation... things become a lot less clear.

Stoic Joker:
The Ethics of Saving Lives With Autonomous Cars Is Far Murkier Than You Think

This covers the topic rather nicely.

One of the most popular examples is the school-bus variant of the classic trolley problem in philosophy: On a narrow road, your robotic car detects an imminent head-on crash with a non-robotic vehicle — a school bus full of kids, or perhaps a carload of teenagers bent on playing “chicken” with you, knowing that your car is programmed to avoid crashes. Your car, naturally, swerves to avoid the crash, sending it into a ditch or a tree and killing you in the process.
--- End quote ---

Oopsy Daisy...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version