ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

driveless cars

<< < (5/12) > >>

wraith808:
but you already put your life in other drivers' hands
-kalos (October 15, 2014, 11:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

SJ addressed the other part... so I'll address this.

Hell no, I don't.  I don't trust other drivers any farther than I can throw their car.  That's what I don't understand about a lot of drivers today.. they trust other drivers.  And they give them leeway.  I plan, assess, and stay alert- especially when there are other drivers around or I'm going through an area where there is the chance that other drivers have a window in which they could do something especially stupid because you're supposedly 'in the right'.  It's not perfect... but its a sight better than putting my trust in them.

Stoic Joker:
but you already put your life in other drivers' hands
-kalos (October 15, 2014, 11:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hell no, I don't.-wraith808 (October 15, 2014, 12:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

ROFLMAO :Thmbsup:

Oh yeah, and Damn Straight to the rest of it too. Defensive Driving 101: Watch the %&$^# Road! :D

Stoic Joker:
but she'd be lucky to get the brakes to work much at all without manifold vacuum squeezing the booster for her.
-SeraphimLabs (October 15, 2014, 12:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Which is why the brake booster has a large reservoir protected by a one way valve. So even if the engine stops you still have enough stored vacuum pressure for 3-5 good stabs at the break petal. And that's really all that is needed if you're coasting to a stop.

Deozaan:
I'm not ready to put my life in their hands.  Either as the passenger, or another driver on the streets.
-wraith808 (October 14, 2014, 02:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

But you're already doing that as another driver on the streets, since these vehicles are out there, and have been for years.

Renegade:
Relevant:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/15/tesla-driverless-cars_n_5990136.html

Elon Musk: We'll Have Driverless Cars By 2023

Elon Musk is gunning to put autonomous cars on the road by 2023.

The D series of Tesla's Model S sedan, unveiled last week, features an autopilot function, but it's limited. The electric carmaker’s chief executive said last Friday that self-driving technology will outpace the skill of human drivers in five to six years, however.

“I think we’ll be able to achieve true autonomous driving, where you could literally get in the car, go to sleep and wake up at your destination,” Musk said in an interview with Bloomberg TV’s Betty Liu.

But he warned that it would take regulators another two to three years to approve the autonomous cars for use in public.

“I want to make sure that it’s truly a lot safer than driving with a person,” Musk said. “The standard for fully autonomous driving is going to be much greater than for a person, because if it’s just equivalent that won’t be enough.”

The company first demonstrated its autopilot feature at a glitzy media event outside Los Angeles last Thursday.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version