ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

DRM in your coffee maker, to stop you from brewing unlicensed coffees

<< < (9/11) > >>

Edvard:
Of course it's kinda hard to feel too much sympathy for anyone who insists on buying an expensive brewing machine that produces an inferior tasting cuppa for approximately 75 cents a serving... :-\

However, if you want a superior tasting single cup, get one of the glass Kalita pour-over drip brewers. (Note: this model says 2-4 cups - but it's more like 12-16 ozs. which is just a large or x-large in my book.)

It may be a smidgen less "convenient" than a Keurig since you have to boil water, add a filter, put some coffee in it, and then pour. But in actual use, it only takes a few minutes. And most of us coffee regulars have the brewing choreography down so well we don't even need to think about it. As a plus you'll save a decent amount of counter space without that hulking Keurig. The only downside is the cost of the filters. Kalita doesn't save you any money there compared to the Keurig. But the superior cup you get is worth it IMO. Definitely a better choice for those times when you just want to brew a single large serving. The rest of the time you're better of making a regular pot. That's what a good quality glass thermal carafe is for.

Just my :two:  8)
-40hz (October 20, 2014, 10:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Even Kalita has cashed in on the craze:
http://kalita-usa.com/kantan_drip.html   ;D

All the reviews I have read about the Kalita "Wave" brewers say the filter is the biggest 'con' (out of pros and cons) about them; they don't stock them at your corner store and they cost 10-15 bucks for a pack of 100, when 'normal' filters cost around 2.
How about just using a regular filter and folding it down?  No go, say the enthusiasts.  The patented "wave" (read: pleated sides) configuration must be preserved for the full flavor to be realized.  
https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/kalita-wave-coffee-filters

Patented?  Make a teeny-size version of something that has existed for years, give it a 'kicky' name and you can PATENT it?

Hey Face! Say hello to your old friend Palm!
>_<

app103:
I just brewed a cup of Dunkin Donuts pumpkin spice coffee right in my mug, using a medium sized one of these:

I set it in the mug, stuck a filter in it, added 1 scoop of coffee (1/8 cup or 2 TBS...it's a big mug), then poured hot water over it till it started covering the grounds. Then picked it up and let it drain. The coffee came out good!  :)

I have done this with loose tea before (without the filter). Never thought to do it with coffee.

So, yeah, now I have a 1 cup coffee maker, without DRM, that cost me a whopping $0.33. And it brews loose tea, too. :D

MilesAhead:
I only drink 2, maybe 3 coffees in a day so I'll defer to those with experience.  Is it possible to get good Espresso results using ordinary drip methods?  I'm not sure if the cafe con leche places use an espresso machine for speed or if it's really necessary to get the quality.

Some customers get the coffee staight up.  But if you add a lot of milk I think it takes the concentrated coffee to stand up to it, if that makes any sense.

For a time I used Medaglia D'Oro canned espresso in a drip maker.  But I only used the regular amount of coffee.  I was going for the flavor of it rather than trying to make Espresso.

MilesAhead:

So, yeah, now I have a 1 cup coffee maker, without DRM, that cost me a whopping $0.33. And it brews loose tea, too. :D

--- End quote ---

App that's cheating.  Your coffee maker should have a slot to swipe your credit card.  :)

wraith808:
Just like everything else, mileage varies by consumer.  And the Keurig I originally purchased because my wife loves cappuccino, and it gave her a convenient way to have a good tasting cup in the morning.  For that alone it was worth it to me.  I know it's not cafe quality- but it works for her.  And as time passed, I realized that it was just more convenient to use for my coffee and tea.  I still use my french press and my infuser at times... but when I need a quick cup, the keurig works.  And the taste isn't *that* inferior with the right cups.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version