ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

DRM in your coffee maker, to stop you from brewing unlicensed coffees

<< < (7/11) > >>

xtabber:
If you just want to use unlicensed pods in a Keurig 2.0, it is extremely simple to get around the DRM, as demonstrated in many YouTube videos like the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ltx1mMoneE
http://youtu.be/YtMR-2CNGgY

Keurig machines are great for places like offices and showrooms since they allow many people make single cups quickly with minimal mess, but for home use, I don't see any advantage. Aside from convenience, coffee has better flavor when made using the drip process than with the Keurig pressure system.

I prefer to buy coffee in the bean, grind small quantities for use within a few days, and use Melitta type filters, either in standalone cones or a drip coffee maker.  For single cups, a #4 cone works just as well as the "single cup" #2 cone, just use the right amount of coffee and water for what you want. 

wraith808:
but for home use, I don't see any advantage.
-xtabber (October 15, 2014, 12:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

My wife likes cappuccino.  It's definitely a lot easier for her to make it every morning in a Keurig than not.  And though I like the taste of coffee/tea prepared in other fashions better, it's definitely more convenient... which is the reason that the reusable pods I discarded the use of a while ago.  Because it took out the convenience.  There's also the ability to get hot water on tap a lot faster than I would otherwise even when I use some other method of preparation.

So IMO there are reasons.  I was skeptical until I started using it- I bought it for my wife mostly.  But after I started using it... yes, there are definite advantages.

MilesAhead:
I prefer to buy coffee in the bean, grind small quantities for use within a few days, and use Melitta type filters, either in standalone cones or a drip coffee maker.  For single cups, a #4 cone works just as well as the "single cup" #2 cone, just use the right amount of coffee and water for what you want.

--- End quote ---

When at home I typically only drank a couple of mugs a day.  I'd grind the beans right then and used a 4 cup Mr Coffee with paper filter and 12 ounces of water.  That would net me a good 10 oz. mug.  The drip process only took a few minutes.  I was the only one drinking coffee so a full sized pot would be overkill.

But with light cream harder to find in South Florida than free food I'm enthusiastic about the steamed milk technique.  :)

J-Mac:
Here's my baby - from 1986! Still runs though to be honest I don’t use it that much anymore. Hate to get rid of it - kinda like my old 1928 black cast iron Royal typewriter...

Jim

[attachimg=#1][/attachimg]

SeraphimLabs:
I just saw the Keurig 2.0 at walmart.

Can't help but wonder how many people will buy it anyway unaware of the change and the true meaning of the "buy only genuine keurig pods" labels on the package.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version