ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

DRM in your coffee maker, to stop you from brewing unlicensed coffees

<< < (6/11) > >>

MilesAhead:
I wonder if there's such a thing as a consumer model cafe con leche machine?  That's the only coffee I like to drink now.  The machines the restaurants use have an espresso coffee maker with a siphon that heats the milk.  They make each cup individually.
-MilesAhead (October 14, 2014, 05:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

* is that steamed milk then?
* what, roughly, are the proportions milk to coffee?(trying to figure the difference from a cappuccino)

There are consumer versions of those machines (most are expensive, some *very*); I make something like that at home with a traditional espresso pot and heat/whisk the milk (not too hot though, or you get that boiled milk flavour) - does take a bit of work...
-tomos (October 14, 2014, 08:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

They do get the milk fairly hot.  I see bubbles in it but I think that's from the siphon action.  How much milk varies per taste.  One of the women used to just put the small coffee cup to catch the espresso and add a taste of milk.  That was a bit strong for me so I asked for a bit more milk.  I have only seen one person make the coffee using a regular coffee pot.  It tastes OK but not as good as the restaurant version.  Fortunately the coffee prices where I get mine are very reasonable.  Small medium large is $1  $1.50  $2.00.

I've watched them make my coffee often enough if I had the machine I think I could get it right in 2 or 3 tries.  But I'm sure those restaurant machines are an investment.

Edit:  But to try to answer your question, most of them fill a small coffe cup about 1/3 with espresso.  The morning woman is very generous and will fill it up about 75% or more if I let her.  If you ask for it "medium" strength they probably fill to about 40%.  I didn't get the name of the coffee beans they use though.

Edit2:  The machine does have hot water under pressure for the espresso.  It must use that for heat exchange to the milk.  It heats it pretty quickly so that must be it.  I see them spray out some hot water into the carafe to clean it out especially if you ask for no sugar.

Edvard:
This is mine:

http://www.mrcoffee.com/specialty-brewers/BVMC-ECM260.html#start=6

It makes a pretty decent brew, especially if I pack it good.  Yes, the wand is for steam, that's what foams and heats the milk.  This model is much better than my old one, as it makes 2 shots in just a minute or two.  The old one took 5 minutes or more.  

If you want REALLY authentic italian-style single-cup coffee, get one of these:

http://www.bialettishop.com/MokaExpressMain.htm

Although they do come in different sizes, up to 12 cups.

... And if you're feeling like parting ways with a sizable bit of cash just to indulge in the best coffee you've ever tasted, find a specialty store that sells Illy:
http://shop.illy.com/online/store/product_Whole+Bean_whole-bean-coffee-for-all-preparations_us

My lovely wife bought me a gift set of Illy coffee for Father's day.  I always thought that stuff was overhyped and likely over-roasted or something, and the thought of paying 15 bucks for a pinch over half a pound of coffee just made me cringe.  I still can't say it's worth it, but damn that was good coffee...

tomos:
If you want REALLY authentic italian-style single-cup coffee, get one of these:
-Edvard (October 14, 2014, 06:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

that's what I'm using :up:

PS that coffee machine is very reasonable...

bit:
So, now you'll have to jailbreak your coffee maker to be able to brew the coffee of your choice?  :huh:
-app103 (October 12, 2014, 07:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
jailbreak>virus>Google>Images>"coffee monster" ;D

MilesAhead:
Yes, the wand is for steam
--- End quote ---

That explains why it is so loud.  For some reason I thought it siphoned the milk through some hot coils.  Probably because the milk doesn't seem to get watered down.  But that would also explain why they are not reluctant to stick the wand right into your coffee cup to make the coffee hotter.  Nothing is going inside the machine.  All the pressure is positive.  No sanitary issues other than the external surface of the wand itself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version