ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

[SOLVED] Safe Internet

<< < (2/3) > >>

arvin23:
It only takes a little bit of effort, a few tools, and some basic information to be safe as you browse the Internet. Follow these guidelines to protect your personal information and your computer online.USE Install protective software

f0dder:
Contro, would your friend be able to handle using two browsers - IE when he needs to use the digital signature stuff, another for all other browsing? Perhaps two shortcuts on the desktop - "Use the Internet" and another "Use online banking" (or whatever the digital signature stuff is for).

I would suggest Chrome as the "Use the Internet" browser, since it has a built-in Flash player that's a lot safer than the plugin for other browsers, and "ordinary people" seem to still need Flash. Make sure the Java browser plugin is not installed unless it's necessary for the digital signature stuff, and in that case make sure it's only installed in IE. Then add uBlock Origin and Ghostery and most bad stuff is taken care of.

Of course there's nothing that really helps against people who download and run random software, but at least Ghostery + uBlock Origin removes most of the advertisements that would lead to bad software...

Renegade:
Just as another thought, could he use a VM for surfing or whatever? Then just delete the VM every so often and copy a backup to use again? That's what a lot of people do.

MilesAhead:
Just as another thought, could he use a VM for surfing or whatever? Then just delete the VM every so often and copy a backup to use again? That's what a lot of people do.
-Renegade (October 13, 2015, 10:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

My computer instructor at the college is keen on making bootable USB sticks of Linux Mint using Rufus.  He likes Mint for Windows users because they can figure out right away how to run and close programs.  Also on the off chance you are hit with a virus that targets Linux just image the USB stick with Rufus again to recover use of the stick.

shmuel1:
I use Bitdefender's TrafficLight. It's a free plug-in for Firefox, Chrome, or Safari.
https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/trafficlight.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version