ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

hiring freelance tech support: techguylive.com?

<< < (2/2)

Carol Haynes:
When you shutdown normally how long does it take at the "Save User Settings" screen? If it takes a long time it may be that your user hive is not being saved at shutdown - which would account for the loss of user settings?

If so try creating a new user id and login there - if that solves the problem you know it was a user profile corruption problem (not uncommon)

jgpaiva:
I'm not sure about this, but i think it's something with windows and laptops.
I know 8 different laptops, and none of them is consistent with windows power-saving options, if it isn't the hybernation, it's the suspend feature, either it doesn't work at all, or only works when the computer stays a small amount of time in that state.
Basically, it isn't stable.

urlwolf:
Carol,

Seems like user hive is fine (I'm using the application you recommended).
Somehow, the hibernation problem is solved.

The VPN is actually very important for me because endNote uses IE to connect and retrieve references from web of science (WoS). Doing it by hand is a PITA.

Carol Haynes:
Over the years I have had problems with suspend on desktop computers too ... I have even had the situation that I install Windows twice (clean installs into two partitions) and it works for one and not the other (BSODS!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version