ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best File/Folder Compare Tool

Araxis Merge is still my favorite

(1/2) > >>

noutters:
One of the best file and folder compare tools that I've found is Araxis Merge.
I've been using it for more than 5 years but still check regularly for competitors. I can not find one, both for file compare or folder compare/synchro.
Everything is visually very intuitive and well thought.  :Thmbsup:

Give it a shot at http://www.araxis.com/merge/index.html

File compare:

Folder compare:

mouser:
araxis merge is a fantastic tool, there can be no doubt.
it works a bit differently than beyond compare, which is sometimes good and sometimes not as good.

it has some unique fantastic features like 3-way comparison, and has an excellent in-place editor which blows beyond compare away in terms of being able to do serious edits while comparing.

note that in our big review we did talk about how good araxis is (https://www.donationcoder.com/Reviews/Archive/CompareTools/index.html).

the main problem with araxis is.. the price.

Mr.B:
it has some unique fantastic features like 3-way comparison, and has an excellent in-place editor which blows beyond compare away in terms of being able to do serious edits while comparing
--- End quote ---

Not for long...  When Beyond Compare 3 Professional is released, it's 3-way merge and in-place editing will close the gap.  I've tried Araxis Merge.  It doesn't stand a chance...  ;)

Darwin:
When Beyond Compare 3 Professional is released, it's 3-way merge and in-place editing will close the gap.
--- End quote ---

Yes, but WHEN will Beyond Compare be released?! Even the lead developer holds little hope for a public beta being released on schedule (July of this year).

I'm not disputing your suggestion that it'll be a killer app; just wondering when we'll ever see it!

Jamil:
I agree with the first post 100%.  I think Araxis Merge is a better comparison and merge utility.

I actually used and licensed Beyond Compare prior to using Araxis Merge, but it has a few short comings that I believe is handled better in Araxis Merge.  After evaluating Merge for a couple of weeks, I licensed it and use it more than Beyond Compare.

Here's my main reason why:

Araxis Merge does not reformat the appearance of files being compared.  Beyond Compare will add spacing between lines to match lines it believes are the same for two files being compared.  The reality is that it's not always correct in its assumptions, and I end up looking at a mess.  I prefer Merge's way of handling this with synch lines.  In addition, when the assumptions for matched lines are indeed incorrect, manually aligning in Beyond Compare is not intuitive at all.

We all know what else Merge offers that BC does not, so I won't bother repeating it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version